Author Topic: Avast update  (Read 8827 times)

j.m.reid

Avast update
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:10:02 AM »
Just spent the last three hours sorting out my computer after installing updated version from pop up window that appeared . Computer froze or took an age to load , no internet , security warnings etc . etc .Never thought it would be Avast update , and spent time checking out modem , router , trying to get system restore ,rebooted numerous times .Finally after many attempts uninstalled Avast and everything now o.k . >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( Is it safe to reinstall Avast again ? If any doubt about it , I will leave well alone .Sorry about rant but very angry and tired as it is now after 1am .Thank you for any advice .

CharleyO

Re: Avast update
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »

Hi Jim,

I just installed the latest update about 2 hours ago without even a hint of a problem on the desktop in my signature. My laptop (W7) was updated about 5 hours ago while I was away from home and again without even a hint of a problem.

j.m.reid

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:09:47 PM »
Thanks for reply ,but going by the other posts below re. this matter , I'm glad to see it's not just me who has suffered problems since download .

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:52:19 PM »
Going by your signature that you are running Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender ???

Microsoft Security Essentials is not compatable with avast!

I would also update to at least IE8 and preferably IE9.

j.m.reid

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
I have used Avast for years and it was only after this latest incident that I installed Microsoft Security Essentials this morning , suggested by a friend . I may re-install Avast later if I feel confident it wont b***** up my system again .I prefer I.E 7 after trying I.E 8. As far as I know Avast is still running on our laptop , but it has not been used for a few days .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:01:04 PM »
Well this mornings virus definitions & engine (110120-0) was meant to help in this regard.

You may need to do a repair from Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, Avast, Change/Remove, scroll down to Repair and that I believe also does an update as part of the process.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:02:37 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

j.m.reid

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:54:24 PM »
Thank you DavidR for your input . I did try the repair option , twice , when I finally gained access to the programme , to no avail .Saying that ,I think  it was round about midnight -1am  . Maybe this was before the virus definitions & engine (110120-0)was released ? Probably would be all right if I reinstalled , but a bit wary just now .May hang fire for a few days .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:36:05 PM »
I would imaging that it would have been much later than 1am. Currently it is on 110120-2 and that was released at 16:59.

The problem being in doing a program reinstall is that the virus definitions currently inside might not be 110120-0 or later. So you would need to do an update on install. Some have found that constantly trying a Manual virus definitions update manages to get through.

Or you could try the Update from the same area as you tried the Repair, see image.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cahartley

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 03:29:52 AM »
Going by your signature that you are running Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender ???

I've been running Avast along side ThreatFire, Windows Defender AND Security Essentials for ages and they all played nicely UNTIL the last PROGRAM update.
In fact I am running 5.0.677 right now DUE to flawed code in that last update on a Windows 7 x64 machine.
Why is everyone at Avast swearing it is NOT the last program update that is the problem rather than that of users?
By the way, in attempting to make the last program update work disabling the other applications didn't change anything.

I paid for Avast Pro for years, when I owned my business, but am now thankful for the FREE service afforded by Avast to home users so I am NOT an ungrateful user.......but I won't be blamed for somebody else's mistakes either. Things happen and this time something happened.
Fix it and be done with it so we ALL can update the program without going bonkers again.......
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:47:06 AM by cahartley »

batfastard

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:49:14 AM »
Good morning and hello peeps.
OK, Avast did it's update and all hell has broken loose on my pc. First the pc started locking up as soon as it got to the normal user screen and having managed to get past that by constantly hitting the windows key as it fired up, I now find that avast will not switch on. Tried to do a restore and it stopped whilst halfway through and I had to switch off as the only way out which is a little scary. I'm no pc wizard, just a user. Did a defrag just to tidy things up(I know that wasn't going to cure the problem)and have realised how much quicker the pc is working, then noticed Avast isn't running and refuses to switch on. I was thinking of un-installing and then re-installing the program. Ideas Gents and ladies?

ps, make it simple, I don't think I'm  up to the standard of many of the knowledgable people you are more used to dealing with.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:36:48 AM »

I've been running Avast along side ThreatFire, Windows Defender AND Security Essentials for ages and they all played nicely UNTIL the last PROGRAM update.
In fact I am running 5.0.677 right now DUE to flawed code in that last update on a Windows 7 x64 machine.
Why is everyone at Avast swearing it is NOT the last program update that is the problem rather than that of users?
By the way, in attempting to make the last program update work disabling the other applications didn't change anything.

I paid for Avast Pro for years, when I owned my business, but am now thankful for the FREE service afforded by Avast to home users so I am NOT an ungrateful user.......but I won't be blamed for somebody else's mistakes either. Things happen and this time something happened.
Fix it and be done with it so we ALL can update the program without going bonkers again.......
@ cahartley
Please update your program. The current version is 5.1.889 and let us know if that solves your problems.

@ batfastard,
Please don't muddy the waters.  Start your own topic after attempting a repair of avast! - go to add/remove, select avast! and scroll down to repair.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet