Author Topic: avast 6.0.1000 - Settings won't save, etc.  (Read 3143 times)

NateKoepke

avast 6.0.1000 - Settings won't save, etc.
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:13:21 AM »
Dear avast:

Hello! This is Nathan again. I have installed Avast 6.0 but I had to remove it because:

1). The red popup box says that the virus definition update failed. I clicked on Update Now and the Avast screen popped up with an error message saying "Module not initialized (internal program error")
2.When I try to change settings in the Shield Options and the Main Program settings, the changes do not persist.
3.When I try to uninstall Avast, I get setiface error 2 message.
4.I get a weird computer freeze at startup when I try to log on and nothing happens. All it does is just hang.

I experienced the same symptoms in the last few versions of Avast when I used it alongside products such as PC Tools Firewall Plus, the Citrix XenApp offline plugin, and Immunet Protect 3.0 companion antivirus. I also experience the same symptoms when I just have avast installed.

I did a little bit of research of looking through the Filter Manager list as well as the registry and I think you may need to do something with the way your antivirus hooks into the kernel or re-programming of your filter drivers (probably including the AutoSandbox driver too) so that avast can mingle well with different security products.

Therefore, if you can work on this for the next update to Avast 6, that would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Nathan Koepke

atb80

Re: avast 6.0.1000 - Settings won't save, etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:13:32 AM »
Yes, I wish to confirm the statement predecessor. Avast 6 do not remember your user settings. After exit with all the changed configuration options not sticking up.
This also applies to the protection of the password....

NateKoepke

Re: avast 6.0.1000 - Settings won't save, etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:58:34 PM »
I know. These symptoms are really annoying. avast! seems to have problems when you use it along with other security software such as certain firewalls because these firewalls oftentimes have drivers that are in the FSFilter category and hook into the kernel in the same way. Thus, some reprogramming of the Avast kernel drivers (some or all of them) so that avast! can work in harmony with any firewall or any security enhancement. Avast should do it in the next minor version of avast 6.0.