Author Topic: Quick Scan vs. Full Scan and Detection  (Read 6255 times)

jimmy_d

Quick Scan vs. Full Scan and Detection
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »
Hi,

I need some clarification concerning the following question: I understand that during the quick scan Avast checks only infectable files on the C Drive.

Is it safe to assume that if Avast doesnt detect anything on C: during the quick scan it also wont detect anything with the full scan based on the usage of the respective signatures?

Or to put it differently: is there a scenario in which Avast would detect sth. in the full scan which had not been detected in the quick scan?

Thanx!

Daris

Re: Quick Scan vs. Full Scan and Detection
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:48:47 PM »
In my opinion, and experience,I would say that the quick scan misses alot. Tuhrough my experience with Avast, and alot of scanning I find that the quick, scan skims through basically if you are already assured that your computer is safe so just like a skim throgh...I have found out after doing a quick scan and finding nothing on my comp. I than do a full scan and it does find stuff right after....I also rely on the Custom Scan where I set up Avast to Scan "all start up programs, Memory and Tootkits" is probably the most accurate I can get Avast...Also I prefer a "boot scan" over "Full Scan" or "Quick Scan" because it's much Faster and Scans your Computer before anything gets a change to start and change settings on my Comp..This is just my opinion through experience with Avast through the years of use....Luck..

Dch48

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:01:23 PM »
A quick scan will scan only those areas of your hard drive where malware has been known to inject itself. In most cases, in my experience, this is enough. I still schedule a full scan on the first day of every month though just to be sure. I would think that a full scan would be more likely to find something that is sitting dormant and hasn't been activated yet. Or left over fragments of an infection that was deactivated by other means.

mokkaman

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:00:16 PM »
u need not get confused this way.. if u try to open an infected program or file avast automatically prevents execution and moves to quarantine, so no neeed of scanning.. just do a boottime scan once which is quick and thorough than other scans, cos some viruses remain hidden when windows is running and bootscan eliminates them easily as it runs before windows starts