Author Topic: THIS CONCERNS ALL AVAST USERS +++important+++  (Read 6143 times)

vewdca2

THIS CONCERNS ALL AVAST USERS +++important+++
« on: September 10, 2004, 06:15:10 PM »
 ???Application Hijacking has been detected
The application: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe  try to launch another application: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  to go to remote host  sa.windows.com :'(

please explain this to me >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...    asp
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 06:22:34 PM by vewdca2 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:What is This AVAST!!!!! HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 06:23:07 PM »
sa.windows.com is the Microsoft Search Companion. You can read their privacy policy HERE

vewdca2

Re:THIS CONCERNS ALL AVAST USERS +++important+++
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 06:26:23 PM »
does that mean avast antivirus software uses search companion in its search process ?????? why would it need to try launch it ?????????????????????????
P.S Thanks EDDY for your infomation , a fast reply is always  appreciated .... :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 09:40:46 AM by vewdca2 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 06:31:32 PM »
ashSimpl.exe is the simple user interface of Avast. Did you get this message just when starting Avast or did you try to do anything in the simple user interface?

You didn't say, but this looks like a message from a firewall or some sort of spy-/adware application.

ps: why do you think it so important to ALL Avast users? It is just a simple message and by the looks of it nothing harmfull is going on.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 06:33:37 PM by Eddy »

vewdca2

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 06:34:31 PM »
yes its a firewall warning & no i did nothing but perform a normal scan with AVAST & it was during scan warning was given.A simple warning doesnt come up as critical on my firewall ( i would have thought ) If it was harmfull though it would & still may concern all users.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 09:52:53 AM by vewdca2 »

guestja

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 03:46:16 AM »
hi,
I read in this post where vewdca2 says  that  his firewall gave him a warning that :
 The application: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe  try to launch another application: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  to go to remote host  sa.windows.com .

It still is not clear to  me why Avast  would be trying to launch another application.  Could  someone  with more knowledge than me clarify this?

vewdca2

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 09:36:30 AM »
Once again i admit , i too cant understand why AVAST would do this
im not trying to scaremonger just would put my mind at rest if i had
a clear explaination as to why. No other antivirus i have used has
cause such a firewall warning. I thought it might have been simply
a known issue & my query easily resolved but im still waiting any
further response from this FORUM , if i get  no joy here i will take it
up with AVAST support -tech help !!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 09:46:47 AM by vewdca2 »

lee16

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 11:05:16 AM »
yes its a firewall warning

From which firewall?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 11:27:25 AM »
I'm quite sure avast! itself doesn't try connect to Microsoft site.
When ashSimpl.exe is started, it displays the introductory help. The help is in HTML Help format (.chm). Maybe the Microsoft HTML help component is connecting to its site at that moment (for whatever reason... check for updates, improve searching... don't know)?

You can check if you get the same warning when you simply open the help file, located in <avast4>\English\Help\CheckListSimple.chm
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 11:28:10 AM by igor »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 11:42:29 AM »
I did some checking here on one of my systems, and here it was the MS Internet search function that was connecting. But only after changing the Internet search behavior as explaind (strangly enough) in their privacy policy. (Read earlier post here for the link)

vewdca2

Application Hijacking has been detected
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2004, 04:23:34 PM »
sorry i been at uni studying hence later reply but in fairness i dont think AVAST software was doing anything untoward just assumed there was a conflict or something whilst using software.Thanks for any tips i tried to repeat the firewall warning whilst using AVAST and to date it seems a 1 off.to answer a former reply i use SYGATE firewall & as for the last reply i have not changed my search companion settings although i did have a few virus problems that affected my browser.NOW i can ONLY serach using companion am unable to conduct searches in the url addy feature but can access full web addresses with it. I put this down to SP2 & a change in the way ie sp2 worked!!!! hope im right , let me know if im missing something , thanks all gonna c if i can help with some other topics , let ya know if i find out more relevent to this topic.