Author Topic: Avast and Immunet: LOWER RAM usage??  (Read 2642 times)

jjb2012

Avast and Immunet: LOWER RAM usage??
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:13:52 AM »
Immunet is supposed to be a "companion AV" to run with your primary AV (I use AIS 6).

Here's the thing: after installing Immunet my post-startup RAM ("resting RAM") is LOWER than with just Avast alone. And when I run tests, Immunet always reacts before Avast.

That led me to wonder whether Immunet was shutting down some Avast processes? Would that explain the decrease in RAM? Sure is weird.

DBone

Re: Avast and Immunet: LOWER RAM usage??
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:17:45 AM »
avast! 6 is plenty stout enough on its own. I am not a big fan of Immunet, or any other "companion AV". My take? If your AV needs a companion to work, then you need a new AV.

jjb2012

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 12:36:52 AM »
Here's the problem: NONE of the AVs does well on zero-day attacks. Avast has improved and is at about 50% detection but what of the other 50%? I'm on a college campus and it is an extreme vector for malware.

av-comparatives has never shown an AV getting better than 70% on zero-day tests (working from memory here).

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:43:31 AM »
Then get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) as it is a good addition for malware prevention.
Its one time fee is well worth the additional protection it provides.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 01:51:53 AM »
The later installed software could be at the bottom most of the processing, i.e., reacts before.
Is avastUI.exe and avastSvc.exe running?
The best things in life are free.