Author Topic: Phishing sites can be blocked by Avast?  (Read 2736 times)

BrBrasil

Phishing sites can be blocked by Avast?
« on: July 04, 2011, 09:42:04 PM »
Hello guys!

I was wondering, is a phishing site (that pretends to be from a brazilian bank to steal personal information from the users) eligible to be blocked by the avast's network shield?
Or this feature is more related to block sites that spreads malware?

Also, if avast can block phishing sites, maybe they can do in next 24 hours after the link was reported?
I ask this because I receive a lot of phishing sites pretending to be from a bank, however they dont stay online for more than 2 or 3 days... So if avast take too long to update the phishing site block list, it will no avail, because the site will not be online anyway...

Thanks for your time,

BrBrasil

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Phishing sites can be blocked by Avast?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:36:18 PM »
Well a phishing site may well also be malicious and be blocked by avast, however the network shield isn't specifically blocking phishing sites.

There is nothing to stop you reporting them to virus (at) avast (dot) com, with 'undetected malware - phishing - network shield' as the subject and the URL and info in the body of the email. But as you say there are usually very short lived and moving targets like this aren't really what the network shield is covering in its malicious site blocking.

I would certainly suggest that you consider using something like OpenDNS as your DNS server as they do have a phishing check in the DNS function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »
Check your ability,detecting phising sites w/o the help of any AV.Do this test, https://www.phish-no-phish.com/default.aspx ,well worth!
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

BrBrasil

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
Hello! Thanks for the replies.
I did the test, I made 9/10 (just did wrong the one with misspelled words)

Thanks!

BrBrasil!