Author Topic: Scan Logs - "View Results"  (Read 6158 times)

Sea Shells

Scan Logs - "View Results"
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:59:55 AM »
Hi all, first post. Paid version of Avast.

Everything is set up and seems to run OK. My question is the Scan Logs and view results. I can click on a particular log then click view results, and that page comes up, with a list.

I am NOT able to click on that list and select an item, and "view results". "Select the Required Action for each result" yields nothing at all. Apply this action "Move to Chest", I've tried so hard, but the "Apply" box is greyed out. Some of these "threats" are listed as "severe".

I've gone over and over my settings and can't find anything the matter with them. So, although I've paid this screen is both a waste of time and a waste of money.

Anyone else have this? And does anything need to be done? I tried to copy the screen to show you , but it won't do it.

Any help gratefully received. I wonder why I'm paying as these threats are apparently still on my computer. When I click the arrows in any column and try again, nothing is different.

SS

Jtaylor83

Re: Scan Logs - "View Results"
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:20:25 AM »
Can you please provide the threat names that you have in the results?

Sea Shells

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 06:15:03 AM »
Can you please provide the threat names that you have in the results?

These are all Process 1668 [msmpeng.exe], severity high, threat win32: ADloader-AC Trj. The threats are different, but all either Trj, or [wrm]. One is [expl]; next one is HTML:Script-inf.; next is
Win 32:Fraudload-P; next Win32:Agent-SG; next WIN32 Small-HZH

I've tried to take a pic of it for you, but is this enough?

All of these I believe is from the boot scan this morning. When I highlighted that scan, the page came up as "moved to chest". I thought it was just that particularly one. Am I wrong?

All the above are unnamed scan. The boot scan says C:/jora class, threat Java Agent-QM, Action: Moved to chest.

My original post re Scan Logs - this is not the first time it has happened - it *always* happens, regardless of the Scan.

Thank you - Sea Shells (hope you can understand this, taken me ages to type it! :) )

PS - I also have iJogi, FYI

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 09:45:44 AM »
msmpeng.exe is windows defender...

to me this looks as you did a custom scan and selected "scan memory" and avast have then detected the unencrypted signatures from WinDefender loaded in memory

and since this is not actual files that can be removed....the button is gray

i recomend using the default quick/full scan with default settings

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
Hi all, first post. Paid version of Avast.

Everything is set up and seems to run OK. My question is the Scan Logs and view results. I can click on a particular log then click view results, and that page comes up, with a list.

I am NOT able to click on that list and select an item, and "view results". "Select the Required Action for each result" yields nothing at all. Apply this action "Move to Chest", I've tried so hard, but the "Apply" box is greyed out. Some of these "threats" are listed as "severe".

There is a reason the Apply button is inactive, unless you are looking at that window at the end of the scan (e.g. you haven't closed the scan), then you are looking at 'historic' data the old Scan Log and this is reporting the actions that you took at the end of the scan.

You can't repeat or change those actions as that window isn't the live scan, this is why you can't change the action and why the Apply button is greyed out, inert.

I've gone over and over my settings and can't find anything the matter with them. So, although I've paid this screen is both a waste of time and a waste of money.

Anyone else have this? And does anything need to be done? I tried to copy the screen to show you , but it won't do it.

Any help gratefully received. I wonder why I'm paying as these threats are apparently still on my computer. When I click the arrows in any column and try again, nothing is different.

As it says on the tin, e.g. the Scan Computer section, Scan Logs, these are just the logs, historic data and not the condition of your system at the time you view the old 'Scan Log'

You haven't wasted your money, just that you are mistaking the historic data displayed of the results of a previous scan as being live.

####
So aside from some confusion, you should be good to go.

Bearing in mind what Pondus says about electing to scan memory in a custom scan.
- With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. If for some reason my system wasn't on, no big deal I will catch up on the next scheduled scan.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:43:49 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sea Shells

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 08:03:02 PM »
Hi and thank you folks. I am somewhat confused!

I have been doing a full system scan, manually, about 3 times a week. I just let it run and go about the day.

So, I should make sure that I don't close Avast after the scan, keep it open, and look at the log? I've scheduled a complete scan now, for Sundays.

Am I at least on the right track?  ;D

I find Avast quite confusing as you've all noticed! ::) Your help is much appreciated.

SS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »
Well firstly I would say you are overdoing the number of scans, as I mentioned they aren't as critical as they used to be years ago.

The Quick scan looks after the more important files/areas that need to be scanned. So yes you are on the right track in scheduling a single weekly scan, be that a Quick or Full System Scan would be up to you. But a Quick scan should be more than adequate as you have the resident on-access protection to watch out for active files.

When your scheduled scan completes, you should have a results window like your Scan logs (if you had any detection in that scan which require you to take action. Otherwise you will just have the summary information about the scan when you open the Scan Computer section.

####
It is just different and will take a little while to get used to it from what you were familiar with.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sea Shells

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 09:47:54 PM »
Thanks........

In order to get that page as shown below your response, it *must* be a scheduled scan? Or can I use quick scan, and Scan Now?

Thank you for explaining the benefits of a Quick Scan, as opposed to Full Scan. :)

SS

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
1. In order to get that page as shown below your response, it *must* be a scheduled scan?
2. Or can I use quick scan, and Scan Now?

1. No.
2. Yes, you can run a quick scan.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
In order to get that page as shown below your response, it *must* be a scheduled scan? Or can I use quick scan, and Scan Now?

Thank you for explaining the benefits of a Quick Scan, as opposed to Full Scan. :)

You're welcome.

No it doesn't have to be a scheduled scan, if you start a manual Quick scan, you are already at that page, it is only when the scan has been completed (and no detection found) that you will see this summary of the scan. If there have been any detections you would see the Actions window that you have seen (but with historic data).

If you do a scheduled scan, once complete, if there have been any detections you would see the Actions window as mentioned. If there no detections you would have to access the avastUI (left click the avast tray icon), Scan Computer, and that should show the summary depending on which scan you scheduled or you may need to click the More details option in the scan which was scheduled.

Sea Shells

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 04:39:05 AM »
Hi again, I did a quick scan, and got that screen and result at the end. When looking further,it seemed I'd already scheduled the Quick Scan for once a week at 12:15. Then I noticed the 24 hr. clock, so changed it.

On the log it says Scan stopped @ blank time. Is this was it is supposed to say, rather than Scan Finished @ blah??

Here's a copy:

* avast! Scan Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Scan name: Quick scan
* Started on: Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:49:10 PM
* VPS: 110813-0, 08/13/2011

Infected files: 0
Total files: 40277
Total folders: 13627
Total size: 21.3 GB

* Scan stopped: Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:59:25 PM
* Run-time was 10 minute(s), 15 second(s)

* avast! Scan Report
* Started on: Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:15:00 PM

Total files: 40291
Total folders: 13627

* Scan stopped: Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:25:32 PM
* Run-time was 10 minute(s), 32 second(s)

* avast! Scan Report
* Started on: Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:28:02 PM

Total files: 40276
Total folders: 13626

* Scan stopped: Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:38:45 PM
* Run-time was 10 minute(s), 43 second(s)

I'm not quite as neurotic as this seems to indicate :o  I was just trying to test it.

SS