Author Topic: new here and need some help  (Read 2201 times)

sproutsdad

new here and need some help
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:13:02 AM »
Greetings all. New to the board, and need some help. I would say i have an average knowledge of computers, but somethings ive seen on here are a bit over my head..

Have a Dell with xp home. i typically keep it very clean and keep my adult surfing to my laptop. i run CCleaner, malwarebytes and avast. i dont know exactly what the malady might be, but something is definitely not right. at times it seems fine, but more often then not, it goes unresponsive. sometimes i can close firefox using task manager, but that doesnt always work. more often then not, i have to hold the power button to shut it off. ive run boot scan with avast and nothing. when i try to run malware, it goes unresponsive. when i run the avast scan, it doesnt say its unresponsive, but it will sit there for hours and not scan. it starts out ok, goes pretty fast, but after a few minutes it slows to a crawl. i let it go for three hours and it only scanned 4%.  i tried running the scan and malware in safe mode and it comes back clean..

I thought about removing avast and reinstalling, but i was concerned i might cause more harm when i remove it... any thoughts?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: new here and need some help
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:52:33 AM »
is this the avast default quick/full scan with default settings ?

sproutsdad

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
yes, they are the default scans. neither one will run a full scan. do you have a suggestion for making a custom scan? thanx for the reply   :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:50:53 PM »
Follow the guide here and attach the OTL logs, then Essexboy can have a look inside when he arrive here later today

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

sproutsdad

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »
thanx for the quick response. im at work now, but ill do so when i get home around 6pm eastern.