Author Topic: firewall konfiguration problem  (Read 5185 times)

gott_ad

firewall konfiguration problem
« on: November 03, 2004, 08:25:03 PM »
hi,

its the first time i'm writing here, because i haven't found a solution for my problem. i use sygate personal firewall 5.5.
to update avast by rigth-click-menu on tray-icon i must copy the file AVAST.SETUP (this file will be generated during the update process and this must be able to connect the internet and after updating, it will be deleated) and allow it to connect the internet and then deleting it. therefore avast is creating this file and sygate thinks, that this file was always be there.
i think there must be a similar solution for the problem, that avast can't check for updates. if the firewall "allow all" avast is checking for updates and giving me a message. if the firewall ist in normal-mode, avast isn't checking for updates.
somebody knows which process i should be allow the connection (i have all *.exe files in the avast folder allowed the access to the internet)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:firewall konfiguration problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 09:03:08 PM »
This is an old issue of Sygate Firewall  :-\
The file setup.ovr is transformed into avast.setup to connect the internet and ask for an update. General firewalls (ZA, Outpost, Kerio...) do no care with the absence of the avast.setup file and update normally. Sygate not  :-\
You will have to wait for other Sygate users to help you here...
The best things in life are free.

niko

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 10:45:45 PM »
Hi Gott_ad,
I use Sygate 5.5 too and I don't have pb about Avast! updates even if Sygate 5.5 is running in "normal " mode... :-\

lee16

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 11:06:13 PM »
I have both sygate and avast working fine on both 98SE and Win XP Home.

Try keeping sygate open while manuly attempting to update avast, then when "avast.setup" appears make sure its allowed, otherwise open sygate and click "applications" button at the top, another box will open, go though and look for anything to do with avast/alwil (should be about 4), then right click them and select "allow".

--lee
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 11:07:03 PM by lee16 »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 11:27:57 PM »
After Outpost, I'm testing Sygate 5.5 again. With avast! Pro 4.5, and my hardware router/firewall D-Link DI-604, it works great. No problems with avast updates at all...

Cheers !

lee16

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 11:39:07 PM »
BTW, sygate relesed 5.6 today, it has serveral security features apparently, working fine on my machines.

--lee

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 11:50:22 PM »
Thanks Lee!

Tipton

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 05:28:08 AM »
Sygate 5.6 here, running just fine with Avast!

Tipton

gott_ad

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 05:04:49 PM »
jap, i know that i must allow AVAST.SETUP, but it isn't enough :(
but if my firewall allows all, avast is checking for updates by itself and it pops up a small windows near the tray, that me notify. and i would like to have this, if the firewall is in normal mode (only some applications are allowed to use the internet and the rule for everything else is DENY ALL)
i'm using sygate 5.5 and there is know update available  :(

to all sygate-users, what are the programms that you have allowed and how looks your advanced rules?

thx for all replyings

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 08:46:15 PM »
To all sygate-users, what are the programms that you have allowed and how looks your advanced rules?

Sometimes I think why Sygate seems to be the only rule based firewall that asks for avast.setup permition each time and cannot save this setting...  ::) :P
The best things in life are free.