Author Topic: Mail client on BOTH 98 and XP (same config)  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
Mail client on BOTH 98 and XP (same config)
« on: November 14, 2004, 10:21:37 PM »
Have a small problem here :-(

I use both 98 and XP on my system (dual boot).
But the data-files for the mail-client (Agent) are common.

That makes the new avast 4.5 problematic.

On 98 I still need to use the old mail-scanner setup (using 127.0.0.1 as POP3 and SMTP server) BUT on XP that doesn't work anymore (or?) and I should use the real servers.

But since that data-path is the same (need to be for Agent to use the same mail-folders for storing the messages) I can't have to configs for the POP3 and SMTP servers either :-(

Any ideas on how to get around this problem?
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Mail client on BOTH 98 and XP (same config)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 10:29:48 PM »
Avast 4.5 handles mail different from Avast 4.1 on NT systems.
Read the posts I, Igor and Vlk made on the first page in THIS THREAD

Since you have to install Avast twice (on 98 and XP) you can configure them both indepently of one another. The data path does not interfer with the scanning of Avast.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 10:31:11 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 10:34:32 PM »
I don't think you got the point. The mail-scient I'm using are using the same .INI-file on 98 and XP. Thathas to be so to use the same data-files (to be able to check/read mails from both 98 and XP). And that .INI-file contains the POP3 and SMTP servers. So I can't setup the mail-program to use "127.0.0.1" on 98 and "pop3.myisp.com" on XP. It has to be the same value. And how do I then get this to work with avast! 4.5 mail-scanner (that is different on 98 and XP)?
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 10:37:41 PM »
You got me wrong. It is Avast that you need to setup properly in both 98 and XP.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 10:56:39 PM »
But how can I get avast! to behave equal in both 98 and XP?

avast! under 98 will still need the setup of mail-programs with "127.0.0.1" for POP3 and SMTP server to scan mail.

avast! under XP doesn't support this. But the mail-program should then be setup with the real POP3 and SMTP names.

BUt I can't have to configs for my mail-program, it needs to use the same config for 98 and XP (either "127.0.0.1" OR the real server names). How do I then make this work with avast! 4.5 (both on Win98 and WinXP). That's the problem.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 10:58:35 PM »
No, it only needs the same config when it comes to the data path.
The email application can have different accounts setups under 98 and XP

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 11:04:47 PM »
For Forte Agent I'm afraid that's not true :-(

The "Start in" path determins BOTH where to store the mail-data (folders) AND where to get the account info.

There is no "multipple accounts" in Agent. The only way is to changes the "Start in" path. Then you can have several data-files and .ini-files. But only one .ini files for each set of data-files.

So I cannot have to different account setups for one set of data-files. That's the problem. I know that not very flexible, but that's the way so far (until a newer version comes).

Why can't avast! work the same way in 98 and XP, either by having the XP setup still recogzize the "127.0.0.1" method, OR by having the new way also work on 98 installations?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 11:07:36 PM »
The new way cannot work in Win98 because there's no driver available (and it never will be, with a very high probability).
You can make it work the old way in WinXP, though - put the value
AutoRedirect=0
into the [MailScanner] section of avast4.ini.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 11:17:31 PM »
You can make it work the old way in WinXP, though - put the value
AutoRedirect=0
into the [MailScanner] section of avast4.ini.

Ahhh... Thank you...  Will that prevent the new scanner from hooking on to the data-stream as well...

If I add that parameter before upgrdaing the XP setup to avast! 4.5 will everything work as before then, or do I need to change something (port numbers or anything else)?

Will this "work in 98 mode" switch be there in future versions too?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 11:33:50 PM »
Ahhh... Thank you...  Will that prevent the new scanner from hooking on to the data-stream as well...

It will not prevent the Network Shield to be loaded, if you mean this. As far as I know, the new mail protection doesn't monitor the network traffic as you expect. Instead, the connections to e-mail ports are redirected (by the aswTdi driver) to the e-mail scanner. So, all you prevent this way is basically just the automatic redirection (which you will set in the e-mail client instead).

If I add that parameter before upgrdaing the XP setup to avast! 4.5 will everything work as before then, or do I need to change something (port numbers or anything else)?

Honestly, I don't know - it's worth trying. If the update resets your settings (because it doesn't doesn't check for the parameter), just run the Mail Protection Wizard afterwards.

Will this "work in 98 mode" switch be there in future versions too?

I think it will. Since the necessary code is there anyway (to support Win 9x), there's no reason to remove it (besides, it may be useful on some strange configurations).

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 11:47:32 PM »
But if you don't install the "Network Shield" what is then redirecting POP3 and SMTP traffic to the mail-scanner? Is there yet another service filtering all IP-traffic installed :-)

I have not enabled the Network Shield (have both hardware and software firewalls) and I now use the e-mail scanner with the "AutoRedirect=0" (Win98 mode) and that works.

So is there still a service monitoring the IP-traffic for no reason :-)  And if there is, can I stop that service :-)

(my XP stakes forever to start, even with all non-important services stopped, don't know why, avast! is scanning programs for 30-40 seconds before ZoneAlarm start and network is available - guss I'll have to enabled the "show details" to see what all those programs scanned are :-)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 10:11:57 AM »
The aswTdi driver is doing the redirect; it's used both by the Network Shield and Internet Mail component. So, I'd say if neither of these two providers is installed, the driver shouldn't be there.