Author Topic: moderating  (Read 5075 times)

alpha1

moderating
« on: November 02, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »
since in the description of "general topics" it says: "anything and everything about this board",i thought why not give this a go,it is after all "about this board".

although the forum is generally pretty good honestly,but moderating seems to be more of a joke at times,i.e double standards.unfortunate really.

i would kindly ask that some people not post in this thread,particularly craig and his followers.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: moderating
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 04:24:22 PM »
OK, let me put it his way - joke or not, I really don't like this attitude; the last sentence itself makes the post/thread inappropriate.
So, consider this a warning - the next one will be a ban.

alpha1

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 04:33:51 PM »
OK, let me put it his way - joke or not, I really don't like this attitude; the last sentence itself makes the post/thread inappropriate.
So, consider this a warning - the next one will be a ban.
first of all,please do not threaten me.
secondly,the last sentence is there simply because i know their position/views (craig and...),so there's no need for those views to be repeated again.they've been repeated enough.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
Threaten? Sorry, but that's really far from my intentions, I really don't need to threaten you. I just consider it fair to let you know that this will happen if you continue this way.

I don't see any point in this thread other than trying to start a fight - your wording is quite a good hint. We've been there quite a few times, and I repeat, that won't be tolerated.

alpha1

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »
I don't see any point in this thread other than trying to start a fight - your wording is quite a good hint. We've been there quite a few times, and I repeat, that won't be tolerated.

i never started a fight,but when provoked,i do respond.
if you really want to be fair,prevent those people,from provoking.
the point of this thread is to hopefully reduce double standards,and (as a result) future "fights".

anyway,what i'm trying to say is,please either advise craig and others like him not to interfere in others' business,or if you won't,at least don't stop us (me) from responding.
if any of my posts isn't to the liking of anyone,they can send me a (polite)private message rather than an impolite public post,unless the situation is so serious/significant that it warrants a post.

is any part of that unreasonable?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
Sorry but i fail to see where i am provoking you, all that has been stated by myself is that you are post building with uneccessary content that is cluttering up this forum.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
Sorry, but I really don't have time for time for this, and I also won't spend it on sending private messages here and there.

You don't own the forum or the threads you create (which doesn't apply only to you, of course), so I won't ask anybody to stay away from them as if they were somehow special. Your posts in the other thread were definitely offensive, and I don't find that justified by any provoking, should there be any.

Also, the General Topics is meant for technical stuff, not really for jokes. There was an Off-topic forum a long time ago, but it's gone.

alpha1

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 05:23:24 PM »
Sorry but i fail to see where i am provoking you, all that has been stated by myself is that you are post building with uneccessary content that is cluttering up this forum.
that to me is provoking,especially when you keep repeating it (makes me wonder who is post building,me or you),and the fact that you post them publicly.
i would say more,but i might get banned,so thats enough for now.

alpha1

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
this is a sterile argument clearly.
however,on a final note,it's funny how speedy's post (comments and picture) "is not" offensive,not to mention many of his other offensive,inappropriate and meaningless posts,while my posts are.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:50:33 PM by alpha1 »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »
however,on a final note,it's funny how speedy's post (comments and picture) "is not" offensive,while my posts are.

Easy I'm not a spoiled brat
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

alpha1

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »
however,on a final note,it's funny how speedy's post (comments and picture) "is not" offensive,while my posts are.

Easy I'm not a spoiled brat

i stand corrected,and rest my case.

Gargamel360

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
Alpha, this is just how this forum works.  Its been called the Wild West before, and the metaphor isn't too far off the mark.  Things are held together rather loosely, and police themselves with little intervention, with the general assumption something like "Hey, we are all adults here, surely we can operate in the same place without a nanny and lots of black-and-white, strictly enforced rules, right?"

So, when you see what is apparently a majority in opposition to something you are saying/doing, with no one coming to your defense, this is not some "bully group" headed by craigb trying to push you around.  It is the general opinion of a majority of users, trying to nudge you back in line.  If you don't like this method, and want a more strictly moderated system, just a heads-up, half (or more) of you posts would have been deleted on more strictly moderated forums.

More than anything, look at your post count......over 7 per day.  Almost all of them are jokes or opinions.  Look at mine, Ive been here going on 2 years, and I'm at 2-3 per day.  Now, I joke, and have been known for semi-inappropriate behavior, but I try to help people, keep my head low, and I've found a little niche here.  This was mostly accomplished by a large period of lurking, where I figured out how the wind blows around here, and what I should or should not stick my head into.  

and if you think these guys are being mean, you really need some1 like Logos to come in and show you what being raked over coals is all about ;D

alpha1

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 06:16:05 PM »
Alpha, this is just how this forum works.  Its been called the Wild West before, and the metaphor isn't too far off the mark.  Things are held together rather loosely, and police themselves with little intervention, with the general assumption something like "Hey, we are all adults here, surely we can operate in the same place without a nanny and lots of black-and-white, strictly enforced rules, right?"

So, when you see what is apparently a majority in opposition to something you are saying/doing, with no one coming to your defense, this is not some "bully group" headed by craigb trying to push you around.  It is the general opinion of a majority of users, trying to nudge you back in line.  If you don't like this method, and want a more strictly moderated system, just a heads-up, half (or more) of you posts would have been deleted on more strictly moderated forums.

More than anything, look at your post count......over 7 per day.  Almost all of them are jokes or opinions.  Look at mine, Ive been here going on 2 years, and I'm at 2-3 per day.  Now, I joke, and have been known for semi-inappropriate behavior, but I try to help people, keep my head low, and I've found a little niche here.  This was mostly accomplished by a large period of lurking, where I figured out how the wind blows around here, and what I should or should not stick my head into.  

and if you think these guys are being mean, you really need some1 like Logos to come in and show you what being raked over coals is all about ;D
well,to put craig's,speedy's and their likes' minds at ease,they need not worry,as i won't be staying here much longer.
but that doesnt detract from my argument(s),there are in fact double standards in this forum,and thats my main problem,not how loose or strict it is.if a place is loose,it should be loose with everyone,if a place is strict,that strictness should apply to everyone equally.
i have a serious problem with unfairness,double standards etc.
and to correct your statement,there is in fact some sort of "bully group" present.
i mean have you read speedy's posts?if not,please do,you'll get what i'm saying.neither the moderators,avast team,craig etc. have a problem with those,but as soon as i post something,the whole mafia comes down on me like i've committed an unforgivable crime.

i encountered some great members here, -and i'm happy i did- and some who weren't so great,and i regret knowing them.i hope their post count makes them happy.

cheers.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »
and if you think these guys are being mean, you really need some1 like Logos to come in and show you what being raked over coals is all about
yepp   ;D   haven`t seen him in here for a long time ?

alpha1

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
and if you think these guys are being mean, you really need some1 like Logos to come in and show you what being raked over coals is all about
yepp   ;D   haven`t seen him in here for a long time ?

lol,i'l consider myself lucky then.
why can't they all be like you pondus?  ;)

anyway,that's it for me,i probably won't be posting anymore,unless provoked lol.  ;D
i might be back if i have avast related questions or problems however.

bye all,and good luck.