Author Topic: Laptop Switchable Graphics?  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Avast Eagle

Laptop Switchable Graphics?
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »
Ok its 1st time im using one and have no clue if
Intel HD graphic is only taking care of my laptop 17 monitor colors/ image quality
while Radeon HD 6650M dedicated 2gb vram is taking care of the games/ other aplications.
Are this 2 graphics already configured to do their own work or what?
Anyone can give me info over this? my laptop model is Acer Aspire 7750G
Thanks in advance

So far i found this:
..previous switchable graphics tech had to have a series of multiplexers connecting both the integrated and discrete graphics to the display...Optimus is a lot cleaner. When the discrete GPU is called for, it powers up in a split second and copies the results of its frame-buffer to the frame-buffer of the integrated graphics chip..."

In our case, the discreet card (6650M) is not directly connected to the display, only the integrated card (IntelHD3000) is. When the 6650M kicks in it does all the processing in the background and feeds that to the HD3000, which displays the results on your screen. So Passmark doesn't really know what's happening, it only sees the name of the display adapter connected to the display.

I don't know if that will cause problems with software that has a minimum graphics adapter requirement. If some software only sees the integrated card will it error out during installation saying that this computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements? Or run at lower resolution or performance because it's trying to adjust for the integrated card?

What is anyone opinion over this?
I noticed when i opened RemoteJoyLite to play, on Speccy it shows Radeon HD 6650m Temperature
so its proof it did switch graphic right?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:46:20 AM by Otaku Ichise »

Online CraigB

• Avast Ăśberevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Laptop Switchable Graphics?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:02:06 PM »
The ATI and intel graffics would be working together, yes the graffics card is already configured and in default settings it would be set for balanced so it doesn't burn through your laptop battery to quick.
You can also adjust the ATI graffics performance via the ATI control panel, on your system you should have no problems with running it at high settings.

Dch48

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »
I don't think the discrete card passes it's results through the integrated one. The Radeon card is DX 11 capable but Intel 3000 is only DX 10 enabled. There have been problems with AMD drivers handling switchable graphics when the onboard chip is Intel. According to the AMD site, the discrete card is enabled whenever the laptop is plugged in. On battery power, the integrated chip is used.
When the notebook is plugged in to the power socket, AMD Switchable Graphics enables the AMD Radeon™ discrete graphics processor

This is however, when both chips are AMD. It works a little differently if the CPU is Intel. I found this on the HP site and it may help you.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03048374

There is also this site but it may not help much.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031103.htm

Nowhere I look does it say anything about the discrete card passing it's results through the integrated one. I think that's completely wrong, especially when the chips are from 2 different manufacturers and therefore use different drivers. You're also posting something about the Optimus system which is Nvidia and not applicable to your machine at all.

Acer is one of the manufacturers that is supposed to be getting new drivers for switchable graphics laptops on a monthly basis so I would strongly suggest checking their site periodically. The drivers on the official AMD site do not support switchable graphics.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:01:18 PM by Dch48 »

Offline Avast Eagle

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 02:12:10 PM »
I think i saw the Switchable Graphics option, so will check it when i get home.
I bought this laptop on xmas when it got in stock again,
should be updated and i think it got earlier issues fixed, will post result later.

Yes that window option is there and i think it worked,
cause on Speccy it will show Radeon Temperature once i open the aplication i set high performance.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:25:29 PM by Otaku Ichise »