Author Topic: Cannot install licence code in Avast free 6  (Read 2828 times)

nduncan2

Cannot install licence code in Avast free 6
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »
My OS is Win XP SP3. I have been working on this problem for about 2 weeks - luckily I have good secondary malware protection.

I have been a more-than-satisfied user of Avast! Free for a number of years, but when I ran into trouble with installing v6, I assumed that remains of earlier versions were causing the trouble. I therefore ran aswClear.exe several times in Safe Mode checking for remaining items on each occasion, but that did not clear out all the files and registry entries. This I have now accomplished, but the problem remains, namely.

As some others have commented, on-line registration says that it can't find the file, and off-line registration provides an email with an incorrect licence code and it only refers to versions 4 and 5. Could this be the problem? I attach a copy of most of the email.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:57:40 PM by igor »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: Cannot install licence code in Avast free 6
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:17:04 PM »
avast! 6.x: Inserting the license key into avast! Free Antivirus

On-line registration

Off-line registration

On-line registration is very simple and it's the preferred method for all users of avast Free Antivirus 6.x installed on a computer with standard Internet connectivity. To perform on-line registration follow these steps:

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=612

and dont forget this before you install avast

General: Uninstalling a third-party antivirus software
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=574&nav=0,615

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:20:42 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »
Please remove the registration file as it provides information on the registration format that could prove useful. Even if you were able to use it, if it were harvested it is likely to be blocked.

Did you actually try the on-line registration through the avastUI ?

I have recently done that and had no problems in doing so.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nduncan2

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:44:06 AM »
Yes, I have tried more than a few times to register both on-line and off, without success.

I am not sure what you mean by the registration file. If and when I find it do you want me just to delete it or send it to you?

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:16:53 PM »
Yes, I have tried more than a few times to register both on-line and off, without success.

I am not sure what you mean by the registration file. If and when I find it do you want me just to delete it or send it to you?

DavidR was referring to your attachment in your first post, but the attachment was already removed by the moderators, so that's ok now.