Author Topic: manual uninstall  (Read 5502 times)

bptbd

manual uninstall
« on: December 18, 2003, 04:24:51 PM »
I am looking to uninstall avast4 completely.  It isn't because I am dissatisfied with the program.  It is because I already paid for Mcafee and want to get my money worth.  
I downloaded the avastclear program.  When I try to use it it says that it is all deleted.  When I go into the registry the program is still listed in there.  If I can manually delete the items out of the registry does anyone know what I all have to delete to completely clean avast out of my computer?
Thank you for your help

Culpeper

Re:manual uninstall
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 06:30:23 PM »
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 06:32:30 PM by Culpeper »

bptbd

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 07:06:50 PM »
Actually I do not have nortons antivirus.  The only thing found in the Nortons is PcAnywhere (which I have never used).
If someone out there can kind of walk me through using the avast cleaner I would feel much safer in using it again.
The problem that I have is when it pops up there is nothing in the window (remove) and I need to browse for avast, I don't know where to look and I don't want to delete something that I am not suppose to.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 07:52:16 PM »
1. I suggest you desinstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete desinstallation.
4. Boot
5. Install McAfee without any fear, it will work...

If you really want to be sure of a complete registry cleaning, could be useful one of these Registry cleaning applications:

RegClean for Windows 98 (but works on XP)

BeClean Specially the Registry Cleaning feature
But the best, you can make a download for try, is PowerTools. Very powerful registry power tools, with lots of extra options. Unfortunately, it's a shareware. You can run it before the expiration time and get rid from the previous antivirus application. You can choose an option for backup of the removed itens.

My suggestion, anyway, is that you ask your McAfee money back!  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 05:52:18 AM »
Good support and references Technical.

concerned807

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 07:30:11 PM »
1. I suggest you desinstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete desinstallation.
4. Boot
5. Install McAfee without any fear, it will work...

If you really want to be sure of a complete registry cleaning, could be useful one of these Registry cleaning applications:

RegClean for Windows 98 (but works on XP)

BeClean Specially the Registry Cleaning feature
But the best, you can make a download for try, is PowerTools. Very powerful registry power tools, with lots of extra options. Unfortunately, it's a shareware. You can run it before the expiration time and get rid from the previous antivirus application. You can choose an option for backup of the removed itens.

I just ran across this Technical's manual uninstall work-through. I want to confirm that this walk-through is valid for Avast Pro/Home 4.5.xxx? I am asking because Technical post is one year old, because I KB how to complete manual uninstall of all software I use in case I switch to something else. Oh, this question is regarding Windows (XP) version of avast! Antivirus, not that of linux.

In any case, thanks for the above Technical's advice :)

......PS: I just ran a search at avast.com with keyword "manual uninstall", and found these. If there is anything else I need pay attention to, please kindly advise. Thank you.
http://www.avast.com/i_kat_66.php?words=manual+uninstall&fnc=search&lang=ENG&x=0&y=0
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 07:39:21 PM by concerned807 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 08:00:34 PM »
I just ran across this Technical's manual uninstall work-through. I want to confirm that this walk-through is valid for Avast Pro/Home 4.5.xxx? I am asking because Technical post is one year old...

I'm still alive and my words seem to be valid yet  8)
The best things in life are free.