Author Topic: Adware.Hotbar  (Read 3182 times)

Seany007

Adware.Hotbar
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:37:47 PM »
After I done the install of Avast 7 Hitman pro picked a lot of files with Adaware.Hotbar in my system? Is it false positives? Or new Avast failed to protect me? Malwarebytes can't find anything... Thank you...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Adware.Hotbar
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »
Hotbar is as it name implies a toolbar that is normally installed (bundled) with other software, you want a free program and it has stuff bundled which they get paid for. This is normally installed with the complicity of the user, albeit a checkbox option pre-selected that is missed or overlooked when you install the main program.

Mostly this monitors your on-line activity to deliver targeted adverts, pretty much benign, but unwanted.

In all honesty I would get rid of hitman pro as it can seriously mess up your computer. MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) should also be able to fine and remove these and isn't so aggressive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »
It is possible that avast only detect this if PUP scan is on!
was malwarebytes updated when you scanned ?
have you tried Superantispyware ?

Seany007

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
Hotbar is as it name implies a toolbar that is normally installed (bundled) with other software, you want a free program and it has stuff bundled which they get paid for. This is normally installed with the complicity of the user, albeit a checkbox option pre-selected that is missed or overlooked when you install the main program.

Mostly this monitors your on-line activity to deliver targeted adverts, pretty much benign, but unwanted.

In all honesty I would get rid of hitman pro as it can seriously mess up your computer. MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) should also be able to fine and remove these and isn't so aggressive.

It was all FP stupid Hitman Pro now it says nothing is wrong LOL! ;D

Seany007

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »
It is possible that avast only detect this if PUP scan is on!
was malwarebytes updated when you scanned ?
have you tried Superantispyware ?

I have PUP on in all shields and scans... Yes malwarebytes always up-to-date I'm paranoid about PC security LOL! Superantispyware? Nope but thanks... Well Hitman Pro produced all FP I just done scanning again and it's says everything is fine... Stupid...

Seany007

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:32:44 PM »
I even think it was new Avast files strange...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:40:03 AM »

It was all FP stupid Hitman Pro now it says nothing is wrong LOL! ;D

Well whilst I was trying it some considerable time ago, the only thing it found on my system were false positives, not that I really expected it to find anything. A couple of weeks after that it was still picking up those FPs despite having reported them. From that point on it was history.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security