Author Topic: avast 4.5 blocks outlook express smtp  (Read 3421 times)

topper

avast 4.5 blocks outlook express smtp
« on: December 14, 2004, 11:40:55 PM »
Mother-in-law just updated to 4.5 and now she cannot send any e-mail on outlook express ( win2k).  Made sure the outgoing mail was set to "smtp.netzero.com" still no send. shutdown avast and the mail is sent okay.  Restarted avast and same thing-- no send.  However did notice that the outlook mail process was not running and could not get it to run.  Version 4 was no problem. ???

peterfu

Re:avast 4.5 blocks outlook express smtp
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 05:15:45 PM »
Hi topper,
have the same configuration and no problems - what come into my mind are:

- Does she use a firewall and is this firewall configured to allow Avast connection ?
- Has she manually changed the avast4.ini file in 4.1 - the update process does not change manual changes in the ini file. So may be one try is to remove avast completely with the remove utility, delete also the directories where avast was installed and make a brand new install. May be a backup of the avast4.ini file is a good idea.
- Try also disabling the Outlook/Exchange provider - this issue should be solved in the current avast version - but anyway, if she does not need the provider she could disable it.

br
Peter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 02:26:52 AM »
Outlook express does not use outlook mail process (if I understood you well).
The MS Outlook pluggin will only be active if MS Outlook itself is running.
You should use Internet Mail Provider to scan OE messages.

Maybe a reparation of your installation solves this:
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

topper

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 03:13:41 AM »
I tried the "terminate" the outlook/exchange and made sure the firewall (Zonealarm) had the permissions set correctly but to no avail.  Will do the repair step next and failing that, the re-install.  I just found it odd that prior to upgrading the email worked.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 03:51:51 AM »
I tried the "terminate" the outlook/exchange and made sure the firewall (Zonealarm) had the permissions set correctly but to no avail.  Will do the repair step next and failing that, the re-install.  I just found it odd that prior to upgrading the email worked.

Remember that from version 4.1 to 4.5 the email detection methond has changed a lot. The version 4.5 has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exists. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages.

Any smtp authentication problem?
Any proxy filter problem?
The best things in life are free.