Author Topic: disabeled keyboard  (Read 3649 times)

giddyup56

disabeled keyboard
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »
My windows 7 system has been infected by a virus that has disabeled the keyboard. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get help from the support team?
I have re installed the keyboard driver and the system thinks that is working ok but it doesn't work yet.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: disabeled keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:08:46 PM »
I haven't heard of a virus that targets your keyboard, the whole idea is to try and keep a low profile so the user isn't aware of an infection. Whilst it may be possible if a true virus injected code into the keyboard driver file, inadvertently corrupting it. But that kind of file infecter would be targeting hundreds of files.

Other than the keyboard issue what makes you think that you have a 'virus' infection, e.g. have you any security software actually alerting ?

What is the type of connection on this keyboard, wireless, usb, ps2 ?
Have you tried a different keyboard ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

giddyup56

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:56 PM »
The original keyboard was wireless. I connected a known good usb keyboard with the same results. The keyboard works in setup mode but once windows starts up, it's dead.
One thing I am not sure of is that when I delete the keyboard then scan for new hardware that I am really replacing the original driver file.

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »
Hi the keyboard can be disabled VIA batch scripts.
Go to Start>Run>Reg edit and navigate to the following location : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layout
Delete the Scancode Map key by simply using right click and delete(If you find it ) .
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:37:52 PM by Left123 »
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »
Strange that it works outside of windows - I just thought that a wireless connection would be using a usb wireless dongle, so perhaps it could have been an issue with that usb port. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I would imaging that outside of windows it would be using legacy drivers for the wireless and keyboard. So it may be a idea to uninstall that driver or having windows find the hardware and installing a windows driver. Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device manager.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

giddyup56

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »
It looks like your original assumption was correct. My problem was not due to a virus.
 It looks like it may have been caused by an Avast update. I received an email from the support team giving instructions to remove a Avast module and delete a registry entry.
I havn't gotten an explination yet on the root cause but the corrective action fixed the problem. All keyborad commands were being filtered out.
Now that I think back, the last thing that happened on my system was an Avast update when I renewed my subscription. Anyway, I am sleeping alot better knowing that I didn't have a virus.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
You're welcome.

golgie

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
It looks like your original assumption was correct. My problem was not due to a virus.
 It looks like it may have been caused by an Avast update. I received an email from the support team giving instructions to remove a Avast module and delete a registry entry.
I havn't gotten an explination yet on the root cause but the corrective action fixed the problem. All keyborad commands were being filtered out.
Now that I think back, the last thing that happened on my system was an Avast update when I renewed my subscription. Anyway, I am sleeping alot better knowing that I didn't have a virus.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

Could you copy paste the instruction list here ? A friend of mine has the same problem. If you don't, could you tell me how to get it ?

Thanks