Author Topic: Avast! Downloads too large for my connection.  (Read 5807 times)

caktus

Avast! Downloads too large for my connection.
« on: July 18, 2012, 02:06:51 AM »
I am using windows XP Home SP3 and IE 8, Opera and K-meleon browsers.

I just reinstalled AVAST! 4.8 after testing then dumping AVG. The update for AVAST! 4.8 is over 59MB. My ISP cuts off Internet connection at five hours, severing the update download before it is finished downloading. When I reconnect to the Internet the update wants to start from the beginning. I checked out the latest version of AVAST! but it's download is even larger. It's a good thing AVAST! is not a time machine or my life would be stuck in a perpetual loop-back. ;D

I looked for alternate means of downloading the update but was unsuccessful. Anyone have any idea how I can get hold of the update?

Thanks.

Charlie

Offline Cast

Re: Avast! Downloads too large for my connection.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:50:08 AM »
If you cant download it, any chance someone else could download it for you? Or go someplace like a cyber cafe/library and transfer it by thumb drive?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:12:06 AM »
why avast 4.8?

caktus

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »
@  Castayr

Thank you. I live out in the sticks and kind of secluded out here and it will be a couple weeks til I have an opportunity to do that but I'll keep that in mind.

@ Pondus

Until today I wasn't a where of 7, so I guess I'll d/l that one when I get the chance.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 07:55:46 AM »
Latest version 7 is here http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/ when installing the first screen should give you an option to untick the two google chrome boxes then proceed to custom install for the ability to choose which features you do or dont want.

"note" make sure you have completely removed all remnants of previous AV before installing avast, removal tool can be found here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ always uninstall software normally first then run removal tool to clean up.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:59:12 AM by craigb »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »
The major part of the installation package is occupied by the virus definitions themselves... so I'm afraid we cannot really do anything about the size, or the fact that it keeps growing (as detections are being added).

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:27:37 PM »
I has thinking about this thought for the @OP is why not use a download manager to download the avast setup file after like it hits like 10mb downloaded so far.. pause it and resume it later then pause it again at 20mb and so one till it gets done (or something like that).. i wonder if that would help...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:58:12 PM by Coolmario88 »
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »
I has thinking about this thought for the @OP is why not use a download manager to download the avast setup file after like it hits like 10mb downloaded so far.. pause it and resume it later then pause it again at 20mb and so one till it gets done (or something like that).. i wonder if that would help...

When I was on dial-up years ago, I purchased GetRight Download Manager.  Since the ISP only allowed a connection for 2 hour intervals ( one could dial right back in, and usually connect ), it was a great help.  If the connection got broken for any reason the partial file was saved, and you could resume later with most servers.  The server must support resume, and the file on the server cannot change.  Now, I use GetRight because some servers limit their download speed per connection, and opening more connections to the same or different servers for the same file can speed the download quite a bit.

At any rate, Free Download Manager has good ratings.  http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm  The full version is 7 MB download, while the Lite version is 3.2 MB.  You can bring the Lite up to Full later by downloading the plug-ins from the same site.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

caktus

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 07:32:39 AM »
Thanks for all you're help, Guy's. And thanks for turning me onto GetRight, a great little piece of work. I'll probably get rid of the d/l managers that are gathering dust and keep GetRight. Each time the connection was dropped the Pause feature would automatically activate and all I would have to do is re-connect and press to Resume button. Had to re-connect and Resume twice but it got the job done with no sweat. Now I've got the latest version of AVAST! up and running. :)

You all's be cool, now. 8)

Charlie

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »
Download the installer using download manager with resume option. That's how we were downloading big stuff with dialup (56k). Definitions later will be much smaller...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
@caktus,

Glad you got it sorted.  GetRight is a great tool. 8)
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner