Author Topic: Avast making my computer very slow! Win7, 64bit  (Read 6298 times)

Allie^_^

Avast making my computer very slow! Win7, 64bit
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:29:10 AM »
Hi, I'm new, sorry if this has been asked. I'm using the Avast free version and, with verification by three pieces of different but compatible anti-virus software, my computer is virus free. However, every time Avast updates (which is often), my computer slows down to what looks like it freezes -- I can't even move the mouse. After the automatic update, everything comes back. Given how often Avast updates (I do value the promptness of the updates), this has become really annoying. Anyone has insight? I'd truly appreciate! ^__^

drummerman

Re: Avast making my computer very slow! Win7, 64bit
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:37:16 AM »
I dont experience your slow down when updates take place (default 240 minutes) but I do wonder if it is necessary to have them that frequently when streaming updates should cover that as and when updates are actually available.

Apologies for hijacking your thread and back to you. I hope you can solve your issue.

regards

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »
Allie, if you have three different Antivirus softwares on your system then you must choose which one you want to keep ( avast :) ) remove all bar one otherwise you'll end up with more than just system slowness, avast could have also been corrupted due to other AV's being installed on the system.

Many removal tools can be found here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ which should be run after a normal uninstall of other AV's first.

Allie^_^

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »
OK, I see...
Thanks, guys!  :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 10:59:33 AM »