Author Topic: Anti Theft incompatible with Verizon  (Read 3044 times)

alan4919

Anti Theft incompatible with Verizon
« on: November 15, 2012, 03:21:51 AM »
Just got off the phone with Verizon Level 2 tech support.  Verizon has come out with a remote control package allowing their techs to remotely take over the phones of their customers to fix their issues.  It is now on all their new phones.   I have a brand new Samsung Galaxie 3S and when installing the Avast! anti theft module, I received an Avast! instruction that the SMS priority of the "Verizon Remote Diagnostics" conflicted withe the Avast! module.  It recommended I remove the offending Verizon program.  But that just isn't going to happen.   To do so would entail rooting the phone and voiding the warranty.  Verizon will not service a rooted phone.

For those of you who are now searching the web because they have the same problem I did, you should not do the uninstall suggested by the Avast! dialogue box.  You should "skip", get out of the program, go to the applications section of settings, force close Avast! and then uninstall it.  Until either Verizon or Avast! resolves this issue, it may be best to temporarily use a different program.  It is a shame because Avast! is a beautiful program!  You can, however, reinstall Avast! and just not install the anti theft module.  That is what I did.

I would hope that the Avast! software engineers are aware of and are working on this issue.  Verizon is a whole lot of customers!

Kindly advise of the status of the issue.   And let me know when it is resolved so I can reinstall!!  Thank you very much!

reinhardholzner

Re: Anti Theft incompatible with Verizon
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:46:58 AM »
hi, the other anti-theft tools who are controlled (at least partly) by SMS have the same issue, but they just dont warn the user.
can you please help us to diagnose if its really not a problem? just check if you can receive Anti-Theft commands by SMS on your phone and a) they are performed and b) not visible on the device.
if thats the case you can ignore the warning + it would be good to tell us the package name of that app so that we can do an exception to the warning for that tool.

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
Re: Anti Theft incompatible with Verizon
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »
Older versions of MetroPCS Android phones also have a contacts backup tool which have this warning too. In my general experience, though, it hasn't been an issue.

(For any of those wondering, the app existed for me in the Samsung Admire running Android 2.3.4, but was removed when MetroPCS released the 2.3.6 update.)
~SugarD-x~