Author Topic: Phone Identity and contacts safe if using avast firewall?  (Read 3611 times)

avphone

Phone Identity and contacts safe if using avast firewall?
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
When an app has permission to "read phone state and identity", that means, among other things, that it knows my phone number.  And if an app can read all my contacts, what can it do with that information (and the phone number)?  If it wants to send that info back to "headquarters" then that means it would need internet access to do that, right?

Well, if I rooted and turned on avast firewall, then all that info is going nowhere via internet, so I'm safe from those apps with permissions sending that info anywhere, right?  I've looked up info on permissions, and all the people say that you should avoid apps with those permissions, but I can't find anybody that explains how that private information gets off my phone via the app.

Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Phone Identity and contacts safe if using avast firewall?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »
1. If it wants to send that info back to "headquarters" then that means it would need internet access to do that, right?
2. Well, if I rooted and turned on avast firewall, then all that info is going nowhere via internet, so I'm safe from those apps with permissions sending that info anywhere, right?
3. I've looked up info on permissions, and all the people say that you should avoid apps with those permissions, but I can't find anybody that explains how that private information gets off my phone via the app.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Sorry, not sure what you mean..?? Which app..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

avphone

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:11:03 AM »
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Sorry, not sure what you mean..?? Which app..??

3. Sorry: I can't find any website that explains how my private information gets off my phone via any app that has permission to read it.

So, if I understand your answers, all this worry about apps that can read my private information (phone number, contacts, SMS messages, etc.) is for nothing if I firewall them from internet access.

Thanks for your response!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:08:45 AM »
So, if I understand your answers, all this worry about apps that can read my private information (phone number, contacts, SMS messages, etc.) is for nothing if I firewall them from internet access.

Thats right.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

reinhardholzner

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
hi regarding phone state/identity: no, the device does not know the number itself in 99% of the cases (never had a phone that actually delivered any data when querying for the phone number).

When an app has permission to "read phone state and identity", that means, among other things, that it knows my phone number.  And if an app can read all my contacts, what can it do with that information (and the phone number)?  If it wants to send that info back to "headquarters" then that means it would need internet access to do that, right?

Well, if I rooted and turned on avast firewall, then all that info is going nowhere via internet, so I'm safe from those apps with permissions sending that info anywhere, right?  I've looked up info on permissions, and all the people say that you should avoid apps with those permissions, but I can't find anybody that explains how that private information gets off my phone via the app.

Thanks