Author Topic: AvastSvc.exe: Win7 Boot Performance Degradation  (Read 3523 times)

Avast_user_01752

AvastSvc.exe: Win7 Boot Performance Degradation
« on: October 11, 2012, 07:20:08 AM »
Hi Everyone - Been an Avast Pro user for many years, really have enjoyes the product.

I just recently built a new Win7 64bit box with a corei7 processor in it, and i am getting some reports from the Event Viewer in windows that AvastSvc.exe is causing a signifigant delay in my boot time:

EventData

StartTime 2012-10-11T05:01:06.624800200Z
  NameLength 13
  Name AvastSvc.exe
  FriendlyNameLength 15
  FriendlyName avast! Service
  VersionLength 13
  Version 7.0.1466.549
  TotalTime 11672
  DegradationTime 6672
  PathLength 51
  Path C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
  ProductNameLength 17
  ProductName avast! Antivirus
  CompanyNameLength 15
  CompanyName AVAST Software

I tried changing the Troubleshooting settings in the GUI for "Load Avast services only after loading other system services", but there was no change in performance.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the delay?  Here are my system specs in case they are helpful.  All programs are up to date, same with drivers:

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1155, 77W
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Motherboard
VisionTek 900339 Radeon HD 6850 Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0
Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 1TB 7200 rpm 64 mb cache
16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 PNY SDRAM at 1067MHz/1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
Windows 7 Professional w/Digital Cable Support, 64-bit

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: AvastSvc.exe: Win7 Boot Performance Degradation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 08:10:22 AM »
I would totally ignore what is in the event viewer unless you are recieving conflicts or system instability, if you look hard enough there are probably error records in there for numerus things.

Avast might add an extra 5 to10 seconds to my boot time but im not bothered as once it's up and running it's great.

Have you defragged your drive as after installing all your programs as this can leave alot of fragmentation on new installs, plus after a few reboots and a few full scans to populate the cache boot time should decrease somewhat.

blue_fyre

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:43:17 AM »
I thought most antivirus shave off a few seconds off boot time. That is unless you have a bunch of stuff that start with Windows at boot. Example for you would be Catalyst Control Center and Intel HD Graphics (if you do dual monitor setup or just installed it through Windows Update). avast will scan.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:59:35 AM »
I thought most antivirus shave off a few seconds off boot time.
I dont know how you came to that conclusion, some AV's may be faster on boot than others but it's quite logical that once you add another startup process ( antivirus ) as to not having an antivirus then this has to increase the startup time somewhat, wheather it be 1 second or 10 seconds adding any extra startup process will increase the startup time.

blue_fyre

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 04:17:34 AM »
I thought most antivirus shave off a few seconds off boot time.
I dont know how you came to that conclusion, some AV's may be faster on boot than others but it's quite logical that once you add another startup process ( antivirus ) as to not having an antivirus then this has to increase the startup time somewhat, wheather it be 1 second or 10 seconds adding any extra startup process will increase the startup time.

from a benchmark found on Tom's Hardware
i found it true, i counted the time to reach desktop after post, it really was a few seconds faster