Author Topic: Forum spammer not found?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Forum spammer not found?
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Forum spammer not found?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:01:19 PM »
Some more information on your actual subject wouldn't go amiss as why, who and where are just as important as the IP address. This in isolation isn't an indication of an individual spammer or that the IP is only spam related.

Depending on where you look you are likely to get different information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 11:42:11 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Here we go, some more detailed information about that url being suspicious/malicious.

It is not only this IP, it is the hoster which is "high risk" one: http://www.abuseipdb.com/check/15chan.net   "commercial adware and e-mail spam"
High Risk so-called EMD classification: http://hosts-file.net/?s=jolts-online.net&wn=1
This is the initial url that was flagged by badmalware: 646312   2012-10-21   fedwireclearance dot com   188.40.205.219   24940   htxp://fedwireclearance.com/info/view/dir/content/check/default_files/   and a couple of other attack probes....
More instances of PHP malcode attacks there, see: htxp://bbrlplc.com/lot/show/conf/Duk/?MD (suspended domain)
see: etc/ transferringEXEtax.php, view/dir/content/check/uploadpic.php, see this Exploit being exploited Google Dork : inurl:uploadpic.php intext:Powered by phpBB, the particular exploit info was removed, bit the initial information could be retrieved via the Google cache, the exploit method is to perform a changed log with TamperData To shell.php, and  transferringEXEatc.php, transf8.jpg etc. (so the firefox add-on tamper data can also be used for malicious purposes).
I think this information is sufficient for marking these urls as suspicious, probably the attacks are to launch spam,

polonus
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:43:45 PM by polonus »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »
Hi forum friends,

Some additional info on the risk of the abuse of an add-on like Tamper Data in firefox. Yes it can be abused in the hands of informed miscreants.
This could not be achieve for instance with Google Chrome, the low level API to create such an add-on would not be given free to developers.
The dangers of handing out such a low level API for add-on developers for firefox is now obvious, as you can see from the above exploit example,

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:28:18 AM »
Yes but the question I ask is directly related to the subject 'Forum spammer not found? '
e.g. who is the forum spammer, if you only have a user, where and when they were supposed to be spamming and the associated IP address to go on.

I don't see how anything said so far is related to the subject, 'Forum spammer not found?' which I read as an individual.

Where IP addresses are commonly used in spamming, it still requires a user, email address, etc. Those IP address may well be picked up by various sources:

One I often use is http://www.ipchecking.com/ if I don't find anything on an individual user name, email address, etc.
RBL (Realtime Block List) Lookup
The blocklist lookup allows you to find whether an IP address is listed in the following public blocking lists: SpamCop, SBL, XBL, CBL, NJABL and SORBS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security