Author Topic: Newbie - questions about the app  (Read 2424 times)

Offline catchetat

Newbie - questions about the app
« on: December 12, 2012, 01:48:12 AM »
Just recently downloaded this app, and updated. Works great other than a few bits and bobs...

I tried registering for an avast account under "avast! Account" using the mobile app but it keeps saying service unavailable.

Was wondering about the SMS stuff as well - are those sent free of charge or is it standard network rate?

Also, if my friend uses a standard phone (i.e. not a smart phone) are all the SMS commands compatible? For example, I know that the locate SMS is quite a hassle... needing to type the entire URL but other than is there any incompatibility?

If the phone has GPS and internet switched off at the time it is stolen, will my trustee be able to still locate the phone whereabouts?

Also is there any way of renaming the app, other than 'cow r***"

Is it possible to insert an AUTHORISED sim? If so, how do I set that up?

What is a rooted phone?

How do I uninstall the app?

Thank you!

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Newbie - questions about the app
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
>Was wondering about the SMS stuff as well - are those sent free of charge or is it standard network rate?

it's your standard network rate.

>Also, if my friend uses a standard phone (i.e. not a smart phone) are all the SMS commands compatible? For example, I know that the locate SMS is quite a hassle... needing to type the entire URL but other than is there any incompatibility?

commands from non-smartphones work aswell. it's just urls you can't open, as you already mentioned.

>If the phone has GPS and internet switched off at the time it is stolen, will my trustee be able to still locate the phone whereabouts?

yes, it can use GPS to locate the device.

>Also is there any way of renaming the app, other than 'cow r***"

to rename you need to un- and reinstall Anti-Theft. choose the advanced installation mode to create a custom name

>Is it possible to insert an AUTHORISED sim? If so, how do I set that up?

to add a SIM to your trusted SIM cards list, just open Anti-Theft once with the SIM inserted. It will become trusted.

>What is a rooted phone?

Rooting is a process allowing users of mobile phones, tablet PCs, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem. Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions.
These root privileges are needed for a few options within avast! Mobile Security - like the Firewall.
Please consult http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS) for more information about rooted devices.

to find out how to root your device please perform an internet search:
<your device> root xda
you'll find good step-by-step-rooting-guides within the XDA developers forum. be aware that you will loose your warranty if you root the device.

>How do I uninstall the app?
easiest way is to open avast! Mobile Security, open the Settings and start the Anti-Theft uninstall wizard. avast! Mobile Security itsself can be uninstalled like any other app.

you can also consult our manual available at:
http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/mobile-security-user-guide-en.pdf
it will help you understand the basics of the software.
give it a try - it's short and easy to understand.

99% of all questions asked are also already answered in the FAQ
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1034&nav=0&group=eng

Offline yorkiepudd

Re: Newbie - questions about the app
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:46:09 PM »

I tried registering for an avast account under "avast! Account" using the mobile app but it keeps saying service unavailable.

I have been using this app for over a year and had the same problem over the last few days.

Check that you have the latest version of both avast! and anti theft installed (I usually check avast! on the market then check for updates using the ant theft app).

Then try to create an account again. If it still fails try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.