Author Topic: Google Piggybacked on Avast in Registry and,  (Read 2219 times)

ManyQs

Google Piggybacked on Avast in Registry and,
« on: December 30, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
And I did uncheck the box during initial installation and did not install Google anything.  I don't remember now if there had to be any box unchecking with upgrades, but I have always been very careful.  Also there was nothing listed from Google in Program Files or ProgramData before I uninstalled Avast.

I did an uninstall of Avast on this unit and have been recording what Avast left behind and found the same thing craigb noted in the thread for which a link is below.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=101355.msg811108#msg811108

I'll provide the screen shot from my unit, but what I'd like to know is why that was in the registry if I didn't ask Avast for anything from Google?

Thank you.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Google Piggybacked on Avast in Registry and,
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 01:38:26 PM »
Because google is offered with avast there are registry keys added which will either say no Google Chrome Or yes to Google Chrome depending on what you chose during install, you'll also get the same keys added for CCleaner

ManyQs

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »
Thank you.

I'm working on that Google "tree" right now to figure out who placed that there.  Good thing about this unit is that I haven't had it very long and it's easier to track what has been done.  I don't recall ever asking anyone to install anything Google, but I am not wanting to believe that all of that was placed there by Avast.

By the way, I clean my own registry.  I don't use registry cleaners.

On a related note, would anybody be interested in the full registry set for a past Avast product?  Or you folks already know about that one published for 4.8.1335?  Yes, quite a few versions back, but excellent for reference purposes.

ManyQs

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »
Because google is offered with avast there are registry keys added which will either say no Google Chrome Or yes to Google Chrome depending on what you chose during install, you'll also get the same keys added for CCleaner

And I just want to be sure I am not misunderstanding your post: you are not implying I need to look for CCleaner stuff piggybacked on Avast, right?  That was only if I used CCleaner of my own volition, yes?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »
yes