Author Topic: Avast + Windows 8 = Not stable  (Read 3719 times)

ACTUAL

Avast + Windows 8 = Not stable
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:13:51 AM »
Long time AVAST user. Generally have not had any issues aside from specific cases (Punkbuster and BF3 conflicts).

With that said, Windows 8 + Latest version of AVAST is a mess. I have two W8 systems, one has the well reported and common blue screen of death issue.

Both systems experience issues such as, instability with CHROME(webrepp plugin not installed), causes chrome and other browsers to want to save a webpage instead of going to the URL, slow down in browsing etc.

When AVAST is removed and cleaned with the uninstaller the systems do not experience any issues.

Now I rather not switch to another AV, as I use and like AVAST for ages. Is an update coming soon?

iroc9555

Re: Avast + Windows 8 = Not stable
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:27 AM »
Program upgrade is not due until end of February or beginning of March.

I imagine you already applied lukor's patches:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=108441.msg858780#msg858780

For the Chrome/wepRep issue watch this video: http://youtu.be/S_KONTflvTk

ACTUAL

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:00:44 AM »
Thank you for your feedback.

I have no interest in Webrep even if it was working perfectly.

I hope they can some how speed up the release, Windows 8 + AVAST is just no fun, and I didn't even go into the other issues it has.

Windows 8 in general makes me want to go back to Windows 7, but with the AVAST issues it makes me want to run back.

iroc9555

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:13:20 AM »
I understand. This is an issue that so few, compare to so many happy W8/Avast! users, are going thru. However you can upload latest  BSOD minidump you got to Avast! ftp servers for them to analize and to understand better what is going on.

Compress it with ZIP, RAR or 7Zip and give it an original name. It will also be a good idea to include a text ( use notepad ) with your Forum e-mail and URL of this post.

Upload the minidump to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming

ACTUAL

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:01:52 AM »
Normally I would agree, BUT I think Windows 8 is new and the market penetration is still low.

Low Windows 8 penetration + an even smaller subset of AVAST users, especially since the MSE suite is reducing the amount of 3rd party AV installs.

So avast issues are a lot more serious out of a small population. I would even say over 50% of the people using Windows 8 and AVAST together have experience some of the teething issues. Not to mention with CHROME in general.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:36:43 PM by ACTUAL »

Anarion

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
It's probably just best to use something else before Avast 8. In my case current Avast IS version is pretty much unusable. AV part works but the rest give trouble so I just use it in on-demand mode.

ACTUAL

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
I have decided to uninstall for now.