Author Topic: Resetting Password on Windows Vista (RESOLVED)  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Resetting Password on Windows Vista (RESOLVED)
« on: February 15, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
So, since my HP Pavilion 6730 became unreliable, one of my sisters lent me her computer since she's out of the country right now.

For starters, it started off with having a Startup problem.  Eventually somehow it started working.
It got up to the Password Prompt.
The Password my sister told me to use is NOT working.  It says that either the Username or the Password is incorrect.  Since there is only ONE Username there from which to use, it's got to be the Password that is incorrect.

I have E-mailed my sister to recheck things to see if she gave me the correct Password.

Anyway ... just in case she can't think of any other possible Password that it might be ...
As far as using that "Reset password" option that's there, I tried that and was told that it needs either a Floppy Disk or a USB Flash Drive in order to be able to reset the Password.

This is Windows Vista Premium.
What the heck does it need a Floppy Disk or USB Flash Drive for?
And would the OLD Password be needed in order to reset the Password?

That would be a problem if my sister or her husband can't remember the old Password.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:57:05 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Resetting Password on Windows Vista
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:56:21 PM »
Never mind.
My sister's husband finally remembered that the Password was something completely different than from what he was swearing it was.  I was able to log in now.

It's that they haven't used that computer in about a year and a half, so they had forgotten what the absolute latest Password was.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000