Author Topic: Our site causing malware warnings . . .  (Read 2616 times)

Publisher1953

Our site causing malware warnings . . .
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:18:20 AM »
Our site (www.ottawarenovates.com) is showing that it is malware infected when anyone uses Avast!  However, after more than two days of trying every scan and review possible, we haven't found the problem, which only is reported on Avast.  We have the usual wordpress plugins installed, our ISP host ran a security scan, and I've worked with a third-party contractor to see if we can find the problem, also. 

I'm at a loss. 

The two warnings are:

URL: mal hxxp://www.ottawarenovates.com
and
URL; Mal, hxxp://www.ottawarenovats.com/favicon.ico

Can anyone direct me to a solution to solve this problem?d
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:45:24 AM by Publisher1953 »

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Re: Our site causing malware warnings . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:35:40 AM »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 01:36:04 AM »
Please 'modify' your post change the URL from http to hXXp, to break the link and avoid accidental exposure to suspect sites, thanks.

There is an on-line contact form, http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?loadStyles for:  * Sales inquiries; Technical issues; Website issues; Report false virus alert in file; Report false virus alert on website; Undetected Malware; Press (Media), issues.

- If you are reporting an FP, then you get another input field open, enter the web URL for the site you wish to submit for review, etc. A link to this topic also wouldn't hurt.

####
It could be a block on the IP address if there is or was more than one domain hosted on the IP address.

Nothing found here http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/www.ottawarenovates.com/.

But this one shows another domain on your IP address that has had multiple alerts (image2), http://urlquery.net/report.php?id=997186, so this may be the trigger.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Publisher1953

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:36:22 AM »
Site is hosted on a dedicated hostgator server, with several other domains under my control, all of which are doing okay (with possible exception of domain cnrgp.com, where some injection issues have been reported.)

Pending a resolution, I've created a new domain and mirrored the content onto it -- thousands of dollars in business are at stake so I cannot "wait" for an answer.

I've reported using the form, but didn't reference this thread -- should I re-report with the reference?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:07:25 AM »
Reporting is always a good thing,
WP version on your site needs updating: Web application version:
WordPress version: WordPress
Wordpress Version 3.5 based on: htxp://www.ottawarenovates.com//wp-admin/js/common.js
WordPress directory: htxp://www.ottawarenovates.com/wp-content
WordPress theme: htxp://www.ottawarenovates.com/wp-content/themes/art-magazine/

Wordpress internal path: /home/ontarioc/ottawarenovates.com/wp-content/themes/art-magazine/index.php

polonus
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:58:18 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »
Site is hosted on a dedicated hostgator server, with several other domains under my control, all of which are doing okay (with possible exception of domain cnrgp.com, where some injection issues have been reported.)
<snip>
I've reported using the form, but didn't reference this thread -- should I re-report with the reference?

It is handy to reference the thread as it gives more information that you are usually able to in a form (contributions of others in the topic), and they may well give a response in the topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security