Author Topic: Avast Pro Sandbox/SafeZone  (Read 2965 times)

smiggy

Avast Pro Sandbox/SafeZone
« on: April 22, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »
Quick question, how do I reset my sandbox and completely 'flush' it like SandboxIE?
The 'delete contents' button doesn't seem to actually 'delete contents' because after doing so if I interrogate the sandbox folder I've created it hasn't diminished in size.
I normally have to manually delete the contents.

PS: as a footnote, I get a BSOD in Windows 8 Pro when I try to navigate around the Sandbox folder too!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:10:33 PM by smiggy »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast Pro Sandbox/SafeZone
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:12:06 PM »
Prior to resetting the sandbox, did you change the location of the sandbox storage?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:28:35 PM by Charyb »

smiggy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:49:08 PM »
I had to yes in order to remove old sandbox that wouldn't delete.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:19:50 AM »
Under the following conditions, I am unable (or able) to delete the sandbox contents. I have been working on this for almost a week and finally came up with the following. Frustrating to say the least.

Will you please try to duplicate this?

If I have the sandbox storage set to, the same drive as the modified file, I am able to delete the contents of the sandbox using the delete contents button in the GUI.

If I have the sandbox storage set to, C: [Gateway], 266.29GB Free, I am unable to delete the contents of the sandbox using the delete contents button in the GUI.

I do restart the system after changing these settings.

Thanks

The above is what I reported regarding this problem. I am not testing the new beta so I am not certain if the beta addresses this or not.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:58:03 AM by Charyb »

smiggy

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »
That's really interesting and you may have shed light on my problem.
I set my sandbox storage to my second hard drive, away from the default 'same drive as the modified file', since then whenever it gets too full I have to create another sandbox directory, incremental, i.e. AvastSB2, reboot then delete the preceding folder, AvastSB1.
I do get the occasional message that the sandbox is deleting when the button is pressed, but always that something is using it and a reboot is required.
This is when nothing is running at all in the sandbox?????

UPDATE:
Set option back to default and it works again!
Why give the option of moving the sandbox storage location if when you do, it breaks? ::)

On version: 8.0.1483
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:18:20 AM by smiggy »