Author Topic: System32?(Snapshot.etl)  (Read 10817 times)

Nikolina

System32?(Snapshot.etl)
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »
Hello there!
I have been searching internet for a long time..But I am still scared something is wrong.
So,yesterday I had Avast do a full research and it found 2 files in System32 that it was not able to scan.
I researched internet and read topics about this and I didn't do anything with the files.
But,today when I turned on my computer,first my monitor turned all black,like it was turned off,I didn't know what to do so I turned off my computer and on again,this time it was normal but at the startup it recommended me to turn Windows in safe mode so it can research and fix something..
When that was finally done,my computer restarted and I had Avast do research on System32,and again it found files that it was not able to scan,but today there were 3 files,not 2 like yesterday.
These files are ending with Snapshot.etl.
Yes,I have read topics about this,but I am still not sure what to do...Can I delete the files that Avast was not able to scan?What shall I do with them?Nothing?
Any help will be appricieted.Thank you.
(Very sorry for my bad English,I'm Croatian.)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: System32?(Snapshot.etl)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
So,yesterday I had Avast do a full research and it found 2 files in System32 that it was not able to scan.

Can I delete the files that Avast was not able to scan?What shall I do with them?Nothing?
why?....they are not infections

posted a million times in the forum
here is one   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=127590.0

Nikolina

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
Thank you!
I wasn't sure,that's why I asked..

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »
ETL files are log files that have been created by the Microsoft Tracelog software application. This Microsoft program creates event logs in the binary file format. These logs are created from the kernel in a Microsoft operating system.

The ETL logs can contain information about disk access and page faults, logging high-frequency events and recording the performance of the Microsoft operating system. This information can be used to analyze and adjust voice response software applications.
They are windows system files/logs and are quite safe :)