Author Topic: Avast and AutoRasDial  (Read 3113 times)

Bascule

Avast and AutoRasDial
« on: May 25, 2005, 04:21:42 PM »
Hi,

I'm just after some advice on how Avast would behave in this case. I have just moved to broadband and in my quest to speed things up and make things easier for all users of the PC I have installed AutoRasDial which runs as a service and starts the internet connection before anyone has logged on. I'd like to know what Avast processes are running at this point and whether or not it will try to auto-update if it can see the network connection is active. I have selected the "always connected to the network" option in Connections but I don't know if that counts if there is no one logged on.

Any advice gratefully received...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast and AutoRasDial
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 05:21:21 PM »
You would have had to have setup/installed avast when logged in as 'The Administrator' not an account with admin privileges to ensure it applies to all users and doesn't have to wait until a user logs in and their avast settings kick in.

However I may be mistaken but if you have broadband 'AutoRasDial' would be redundant as it is a service for dial-up connections? - http://www.zen9156.zen.co.uk/Programs/AutoRasDial.htm
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Bascule

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 07:26:59 PM »
I have a basic USB ADSL modem (not a router) and it behaves pretty much the same as a dial-up modem (only much faster!)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 09:21:58 PM »
As I said you should be ok if you installed avast as 'The Administrator'.

However, something probably as important is having a firewall that you have installed as 'The Administrator' to protect from inbound and outbound attack.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Bascule

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 11:50:31 AM »
OK, I seem to have this working as I'd like. Thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone.

I currently have a USB ADSL modem so it's broadband but not strictly an 'always-on' setup. However, I am running the AutoRasDial service so that makes it an 'always-on' setup, i.e. my connection is made at boot up. So my internet connetion is active even when no one is logged on.

I have select 'my computer is always connected' in Avast!.

The behavior is that the computer boots. Network connects and Avast! services start. If I logon 10 minutes later I immediately get a msg that Avast! has updated. When I check the log I find that it did so within seconds of booting. Very reassuring. So with this setup I can have confidence that even if the PC is left logged off for hours Avast! will still be able to keep itself updated. (A bonus is that my BOINC service is using the connection with no user logged on too.)