Author Topic: DNS client issues  (Read 3591 times)

deitied

DNS client issues
« on: March 28, 2005, 04:54:34 AM »
I've been using avast home 4.6 in conjunction with zone alarm home edition version 5.5 on my XP system for a little while now.  Verizon is my DSL provider.  After an inconsistent period of time, I find myself unable to resolve sites until I restart the DNS client.  My TCP/IP properties are configured to obtain an IP address automatically and to obtain a DNS server automatically.  Verizon is providing me with one dynamic IP and I am using a switch to network two workstations and a laptop.  The only new piece to the equation is Avast.  I was curious if anyone else knew of any issues along these lines.  I tried searching the forums but did not find anything similar to my issue.  Any input would be appreciated.

-deitied

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: DNS client issues
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 11:56:11 PM »
DNS communication should not be blocked by avast, but could you please disable Network Shield provider when you'll find out you can't resolve site names ? The best is, to run "nslookup www.google.com" from command line window and copy&paste results here (it communicates directly to your DNS so it'd tell us more than the fact that your browser is unable to resolve a host address). Thanks.

In spite of that, we still think it's not our fault :-[ - at least, we dont know how we could block DNS.

deitied

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 02:44:38 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  Here is the output you requested:

C:\>nslookup www.google.com
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.2.1: No information
*** Default servers are not available
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.2.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.google.com
Address:  64.233.187.99

MrRAlan

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 09:07:56 PM »
I am also having a DNS issue.  See my post here...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12813.0

I did a reset of my gateway to see if that is the problem.  I did not install Network Shield.  I will keep you posted.  Deitied, is your issue resolved???

Arup

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 02:18:09 PM »
If you are having DNS problems with your ISP, try Treewalk which is an excellent DNS server cum cacher and it is free. I use it extensively as my ISP's DNS server is always having problems. Has speeded up my surfing quite a bit and is fully compatible with Avast, no issues whatsoever.