Author Topic: Anti-Theft And Custom Launchers (Update)  (Read 2059 times)

radha_dhatri

Anti-Theft And Custom Launchers (Update)
« on: July 27, 2013, 04:06:42 AM »
I installed anti-theft root version onto my phone, for the hard-reset-proof functionality. Everything was perfectly fine until the phone rebooted.

Once the phone rebooted, something had killed my custom launcher, and caused my phone to revert to the stock launcher. I think that it is an anti-theft issue because the icon for the anti-theft app IS hidden in my phone's stock launcher, but it's NOT hidden in my custom launcher (ADW Launcher EX). I can still access my launcher app, and use it almost normally - it's just not my default any more. My home key doesn't go to ADW's home screen, it goes to the stock launcher's home screen.

This seems to actually be a security vulnerability in Anti-theft. If someone cracks my lock screen code, (probably hard to do since I use the pattern lock, but still theoretically possible) and manages to get into the phone, (provided I haven't noticed its absence yet) they can then install an entirely new launcher to see if the app shows up. (In fact, if they perform a hard reset, and then try to install a new launcher, this may work too. I'm not sure.) I haven't yet tried uninstalling then reinstalling my custom launcher. I decided to post first to see if someone had any insight into this, or if it is a known issue.

LG Optimus Elite
Android 2.3.7
Rooted

UPDATE:

Okay, so I fixed it. Here's how to fix it if this happens to you after installing anti-theft. You don't need to reinstall anything (I did try that, it didn't actually work.) It's so simple that I felt kind of stupid after. Go to your Settings > Manage Apps > *stock launcher app*. Down towards the bottom is a box that says clear defaults. Anti-theft forces you back into your default launcher, AND sets it as default so that it makes it not immediately obvious what to do to fix it. Click the button to clear the defaults. Now, you should be able to re-set your custom launcher as default when you open the app again.

Also, I'm now not so sure if the app showed up in one launcher but not the other or not - I'm having faulty memory because I tried so many different things to fix it, not knowing that the fix was that simple! I THINK it did actually do this, and if that's the case, then uninstalling anti-theft and then reinstalling it FROM THE STOCK LAUNCHER, and then rebooting cleared it up. Meaning you can't technically install this app from a custom launcher yet?

Anyway. There's the fix to Anti-theft semi-breaking your custom launcher. Just clear defaults in the stock through the apps management settings.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:31:36 AM by radha_dhatri »

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Anti-Theft And Custom Launchers (Update)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
Hello,

thanks for posting this how-to for other users!

Werner