Author Topic: Avast Claustrophobia?  (Read 3102 times)

Robertus

Avast Claustrophobia?
« on: May 17, 2005, 05:32:57 PM »
Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me out with this. The last few times I've run Avast (v. 4.6), it has turned up a Trojan.

However, I've tried to move it to the chest (the reccommended action), and I've gotten an error message: "There is not enough space on the disk, cannot process [infected file]" (in this case it's "C:\winnt\memory.dmp", but this is the third such error message on this run).

I'm running XP, and I have 22 gig of free space on my hard drive, so I'm not sure how there isn't enough room.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

-Bob

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Claustrophobia?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 06:22:49 PM »
It is possible that there was an infected file in memory and the removal/terminating of this infection initiated a memory dump in the C:\winnt\memory.dmp location.

I don't know if this is correct, I use XP Pro and I don't have a C:\winnt\ folder, so I can't be 100% sure that a memory.dmp file would be valid in that location.

Try the, schedule boot-time scan in avast's menu (or try the 'Schedule Boot-Time Scan' using RejZoR's AEC avast! External Control Tool
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kamulko

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »
.dmp files are used to find out what caused your system to crash. It is used by microsoft to tell you what happened. It is sugested to turn of the dump, and delete these files as they take up a lot of space. To turn off the memory dump go to:

1. Control Panel, System
2. Click on the Advanced tab
3. Under "Startup and Recovery" click on Settings.
4. Change "Write Debugging Information" to "none".
5. Apply/OK and reboot if prompted.

I got this info from:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/t/85897/62cb716ad58f20aef5f723a96ec30e12ds.html

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 11:19:19 AM »
The chest size limit would probably be exceeded by adding the memory.dmp. You can increase the limit in avast settings on page chest.

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 08:29:58 AM »
It's also possible to get a false insufficient hard disk drive space error message if the following is true:

You have a hard disk drive bigger than 128 GB, but the BIOS and/or OS don't support 48-bit LBA addressing.