Author Topic: Avast updating impossible due to lack of connection to Avastdownload  (Read 2837 times)

baupierre

Hi. I am curreently using windows XP and although I have no problem to open any internet website, automated Avast updating fails due to lack of internet connectivity to Avastdownload. I do not understand why. Thinking about a possible corruption of avast software I desinstalled it this morning and immediately reinstalled it after downloading a new one from Avast.com. Everything was perfect except the updating which remains impossible. Who may help? Tkankss.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast updating impossible due to lack of connection to Avastdownload
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:46:28 PM »
check settings in avast..
try direct connection, no proxy .... reboot .... any change?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 09:59:34 PM »

That seems to be the default setting in v2014.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »

That seems to be the default setting in v2014.  :)

Did you do a clean install as previously it wasn't a default setting ?

I have just updated mine and it retained my previous setting (no proxy).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

baupierre

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:31:09 PM »
Hi, In fact I presently work on an old HP PC that I reset some months ago, removing personal files from the previous user and cleaning the whole system,  everything was good until I ticked  on Windows Genuine Advantage. From that point my sceen indicated (and still does) that my windows XP might be not an original one and I did not succeed to solve the problem. Any way all still seemed properly working. Until these last days when I realized that windows update was no longer operating and that at the same time AVAST updating also was no longer operational.
Investigating the problem, I saw that on my machine I could connect on internet, searching a web site using google but I could not open any site thus explaining the problem with avast. After further investigation in my connections I discovered the presence of a proxy from club internet (probably a residue from the previous owner) and suppressed it. Then I was able to open any web site and I believed that my problem was solved, but not. What I do not understand is why previously I did not have any problem to install avast, to update windows, IE,etc...until probably the use of WGA. May be Avast kept the presence of the proxy but I do not see where. I compared the actual settings with my current Toshiba Laptop and apparently everything is similar. What I can do? Regards

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »
For a start get a legitimate license for windows.
After that install ALL (security) updates from http://update.microsoft.com