Author Topic: is this a false positive  (Read 3071 times)

Omar

is this a false positive
« on: May 18, 2005, 11:35:19 PM »
I`m trying to remove some spyware called "lop.com". So I am tring to run a programme to remove it called lop remover: So when i click on the following link (i have removed the www from the link)

thespykiller.co.uk/files/lopremover.exe

avast detects trojan gen.

I am using XP Home edition, avast home edition, all the updates are up to date!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: is this a false positive
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 12:18:24 AM »
It is hard to say, there could be something in the lopremover.exe (a virus signature used to detect lop.com) that is being detected by avast.

Google is your friend - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lop.com+removal+tool
Google is your friend - http://www.google.com/search?q=lopremover.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: is this a false positive
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 02:02:16 PM »
There was a link on the Symantec site a few weeks ago to this uninstaller on the C2Media site (who are responsible for Lop spyware.) This uninstaller was detected as malware by avast! I'm pretty certain this was a false positive: I used the uninstaller to remove Lop after both Spybot S & D and Ad-Aware failed to remove it.

The Symantec link seems to have gone now, and the link you post is not the C2Media site, but assuming it is the same uninstaller, it is still probably a false alarm.

However, how far would you trust an uninstaller from a spyware company? About as far as you could spit a rat into a high wind. New definitions of spyware variants are added frequently by anti-spyware programs, so get the latest definitions and see if Spybot/Ad-Aware/MS Anti-Spyware/Yahoo! Anti-Spy/X-Cleaner Free will remove it.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog