Author Topic: Just bought avast! Pro! Few Questions  (Read 2415 times)

Matrix Leader

Just bought avast! Pro! Few Questions
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:30:14 PM »
I just bought avast! Pro even thought I have a 3 year license for Bitdefender AV, ESET Smart Security and Kaspersky Internet Security for the following reasons:

Eset Smart Security: Been using it since like more than 5 years and it has been very good with no false positives, but I am sick and tired of Eset not releasing the final version of Eset Smart Security 7 FINAL even though they have released the final version of v7 to the German users last month! When I contacted them on their forums they said they want to release it in a staggered manner which to me is not working as my patience has run out

Bitdefender AV: Makes my internet slow and the product is buggy ever since the 2013 version and until now on their 2014 version

Kaspersky IS: Even more buggy product, makes the internet horrifically slow

I liked avast! when I tried the free version it was very light and it gets good rating on AV Comparatives, I didn't want to deal with any ad nags to upgrade to the Pro version so I went ahead and purhcased a 3 year license for avast! Pro AV

Now my questions:

1) I do format my laptop a lot, what I liked about Eset is that as long as you are installing the product on the same PC, there is no activation limit like Kaspersky imposes, 5 activations and the key is blacklisted. How is avast! in regards to activation? I did receive an activation key file, would it be blacklisted after I activate a few times?

The reason I do this is I am a perfectionist and when there are a lot of driver updates and software updates, I prefer to revert back to an image before installing any program/driver to ensure I have a smooth computer

2) I like Pale Moon more than Firefox, is there a way I can manually install the avast! Addon which usually gets installed on Firefox?

Like, with Internet Download Manager, it doesn't install the plugin automatically but I can navigate to the Internet Download Manager's installation directory and install the add-on manually. Where is the avast! addon located if it is even possible to install it manually on my Pale Moon which is 100$ compatible with Firefox addons?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Just bought avast! Pro! Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »
1) I do format my laptop a lot, what I liked about Eset is that as long as you are installing the product on the same PC, there is no activation limit like Kaspersky imposes, 5 activations and the key is blacklisted. How is avast! in regards to activation? I did receive an activation key file, would it be blacklisted after I activate a few times?
As long as the number of unique computers does not exceed the licence then there is no problem (I have reinstalled Avast at least 15 times since the start of the Beta trials :))

2) I like Pale Moon more than Firefox, is there a way I can manually install the avast! Addon which usually gets installed on Firefox?
Not sure on this we need to wait for someone who uses it

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Just bought avast! Pro! Few Questions
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:44:32 PM »
AFAIK Pale Moon is not yet supported.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.