Author Topic: 15 or more Trojan Horses tried to storm me this morning! HELP!  (Read 2257 times)

abmetzy1

15 or more Trojan Horses tried to storm me this morning! HELP!
« on: December 07, 2013, 11:56:48 AM »
I was doing a search on Google chrome, windows xp, and I was trying to find a list of books by my favorite author. I had not done anything online for 20 minutes or so, as I was working on some other documents, when AVAST red alerts started flying at me. Each one was different. First they were about download malicious files, then something else, then many Trojan horse attacks. So I shut everything down. Closed chrome and they still came. Then I went back to the forum and ran an OTL. I thought I was supposed to get two notepad notes, at least that is what they told me last time on the forum, so I ran it twice. However, I did only get 1 notepad note, so I am attaching it now. I was trying to deal with the Avast help. and then that crazy avast total support, because I bought their package, and truthfully buying that package and having them "fix" or so they say, my computer has been a huge mess. I have tried to talk to avast and their company because I want my money back, and I want to tell them before I report them to the BBB for this total package crap. They mislead on their website saying that you have 24/7 tech support, but they can't help you unless you buy the package and they ship you overseas and hours later your computer is worse!

Sorry for the rambling and this is why I am coming here to one of you. I know Essexboy helped me last time and I am so extremely grateful!

Thanks for teaching us there are alternatives.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: 15 or more Trojan Horses tried to storm me this morning! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
There was a false alarm on Google update yesterday

Could you update Avast and then we will clear the temps

Once done could you let me know if the alerts continue

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:Commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

Jesidawn

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »
I had the same issue, but with Windows 7. So that spamming of the Trojan was a false alarm?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »
If you have updated the VPS and it is no longer alerting then it was a false positive

abmetzy1

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
Hi there Essexboy,
Sorry I am so late in responding back to you...I have been too sick to get online. (and we all know that is not good) Anyway I ran the fix scan and attached the logs, I also ran the quick scan and attached the logs. To be honest I did not understand what you meant about this (Could you update Avast and then we will clear the temps. Once done could you let me know if the alerts continue) When you asked me to do that I have no idea what I need to do, where I would give them such info, etc. What are the temps? And I can definitely let you know if it happens again. My next question was also posted by you (If you have updated the VPS and it is no longer alerting then it was a false positive) I really have no idea what that sentence means. What is VPS and how do you tell the difference between a false positive.

Thanks for you help and sorry for my lack of knowledge, I keep trying to learn...but I am still playing catch up frequently...Thanks

If you have updated the VPS and it is no longer alerting then it was a false positive

There was a false alarm on Google update yesterday

Could you update Avast and then we will clear the temps

Once done could you let me know if the alerts continue

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

I was doing a search on Google chrome, windows xp, and I was trying to find a list of books by my favorite author. I had not done anything online for 20 minutes or so, as I was working on some other documents, when AVAST red alerts started flying at me. Each one was different. First they were about download malicious files, then something else, then many Trojan horse attacks. So I shut everything down. Closed chrome and they still came. Then I went back to the forum and ran an OTL. I thought I was supposed to get two notepad notes, at least that is what they told me last time on the forum, so I ran it twice. However, I did only get 1 notepad note, so I am attaching it now. I was trying to deal with the Avast help. and then that crazy avast total support, because I bought their package, and truthfully buying that package and having them "fix" or so they say, my computer has been a huge mess. I have tried to talk to avast and their company because I want my money back, and I want to tell them before I report them to the BBB for this total package crap. They mislead on their website saying that you have 24/7 tech support, but they can't help you unless you buy the package and they ship you overseas and hours later your computer is worse!

Sorry for the rambling and this is why I am coming here to one of you. I know Essexboy helped me last time and I am so extremely grateful!

Thanks for teaching us there are alternatives.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 03:55:23 PM »
I cleared the temporary files for you and you recovered Total Files Cleaned = 1,806.00 mb this much space :)

A false positive is Avast miscalling a legitimate file as bad...  Or as in this case the Google site

VPS is the daily update of the virus signature list that Avast uses

The alerts should no longer be happening, is that correct ? 

abmetzy1

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
That is correct Essexboy. Thank you so much, especially helping me learn the terminology. You are pretty awesome to have around! Thanks a bunch! Til next time.  :)