Author Topic: Avast! Online Security IE extension blocking Microsoft Update  (Read 3144 times)

AlienBB

Avast! Online Security IE extension blocking Microsoft Update
« on: December 24, 2013, 09:25:42 PM »
I verified this on two computers, one running Vista, the other, a brand new Windows 7 machine. Avast! version 2014.9.0.2011

To replicate - Start Windows Update and click the Get updates for other Microsoft products. Find out more link.
It provides a blank page.

In IE, click on Manage Add-ons and disable avast! Online Security and try the Microsoft update link again.

I'm in the process of checking this on another computer that already using Microsoft updates. I'll disable and see what happens.

AlienBB

Re: Avast! Online Security IE extension blocking Microsoft Update
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »
I checked on a computer with Microsoft update already installed. I disabled MS update in Windows Update settings and got a blank screen in IE when it tried to install MS update. Disabled avast! Online Security and was able to install MS Update.

Once MS update is installed, it appears to work properly.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 09:46:14 PM »
The "avast online security" plug-in/add-on has proven to the the culprit in quite a few users browsers. Mine included.
Glad you figured it out. I have the AOS disabled in each of my browsers.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

AndreiRC

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 06:08:47 AM »
Just so I understand correctly (it's early and I might be missing something simple here), what Microsoft updates was the AOS blocking in IE? Maybe you can provide an example.