Author Topic: BSOD after installing 2014.9.0.2011  (Read 2940 times)

ppamco

BSOD after installing 2014.9.0.2011
« on: January 03, 2014, 01:43:32 AM »
After installing/updating to the above program version my computer no longer works. On startup the windows logon page is displayed and then after a few moments I get a BSOD with a stop code of 0x0000005. The previous version of the avast program worked fine.
I have tried this avast program version on another computer with the same windows OS but different hardware and exactly the same problem occurs.
Has anyone else had this problem?
OS = windows XP SP3 32 bit with all the latest MS patches. The second machine I tested on has the same OS and patch level.

Any help would be appreciated.

jwoods301

Re: BSOD after installing 2014.9.0.2011
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:48:34 AM »
If you search the Avast forum for BSOD, you will find several current threads.

Try booting in to Safe Mode and uninstalling Avast.

If you can boot normally after that, download the Uninstall Utility, follow the instructions, and then download and install a fresh copy of Avast (clean install).

http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

ppamco

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:14:48 AM »
I have already tried that (used aswclear), dowbloaded the full installer and did a "clean" install, syll have the same problem. During the time avast was not installed the pc worked perfectly.
Seems like a lot of people are having issues with this latest version of avast. Pity, its been ok up to now.

jwoods301

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:00:47 PM »
You can roll back to the prevous version, 9.0.2008.

Older versions of Avast can be found on Filehorse.com

http://www.filehorse.com/download-avast-antivirus/old-versions/

ppamco

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:05:34 AM »
Thanks jwoods301, I guess I will have to re-install the old version until a fix for the new version is made available.

EdinSpain

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »
Unfortunately It's looking like Avast have done it again, issued an update which results in computers not working. The last time it happened it took them some weeks to get the problem sorted out. I use the free version and very good it is too when it works, the problems arise when it doesn't work and for this to happen twice in the course of a year is not very reassuring. For the time being I'm going to reinstall the version I installed in June and keep an eye on this forums.

Thanks to jwoods301 who has offered more helpful advice than anyone from Avast.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »
Unfortunately It's looking like Avast have done it again, issued an update which results in computers not working. The last time it happened it took them some weeks to get the problem sorted out. I use the free version and very good it is too when it works, the problems arise when it doesn't work and for this to happen twice in the course of a year is not very reassuring. For the time being I'm going to reinstall the version I installed in June and keep an eye on this forums.

Thanks to jwoods301 who has offered more helpful advice than anyone from Avast.
So where is your recent post asking for help from avast ??? maybe you could supply us some details about the exact problem you are having including system info.

Most problems can be fixed with a repair or a clean install, for me personally clean installing is thoroughly recommended when updating from different versions as a lot of the internal workings "Drivers, dll's, features can change from version to version and sometimes updating can have it issues depending on the system and software installed, there are way to many system variations to test them all which is why clean installs always have less issues and also give a better base to troubleshoot from if further problems arise.

ppamco

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 01:34:06 AM »
Turns out my problem is that avast latest version and Zonealarm dont play nice together. I uninstalled ZA and viola! no problems with avast....not a solution I am willing to live with though  >:(
Seesm like avast and ZA have also had their problems in the past.........hopefully a fix will be coming soon from avast.