Author Topic: Avast notifies me it has blocked a harmful webpage every time I open a new page  (Read 3855 times)

fivetimesredmen

Hoping someone can help me with this because it's driving me nuts.

New laptop running windows 8 and thought I would give avast a try after always using Norton. Two days ago the pop up and voice started every time I open a new tab or even change page on a site. It says:

object:  http://...?id=2004703bro=CH

infection: URL:Mal

I've installed Malwarebytes and performed a quick scan which removed 6 objects but no change to the constant pop up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as would your patience because I'm not the most computer literate person around so step by step instructions will be needed. 

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Follow the steps here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

And attach the logs in this thread :)

fivetimesredmen

I've tried to attach both logs, mbam and OTL (there was only one OTL saved). Any probs and I'll try again

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Could you attach the OTL log please

fivetimesredmen

Sorry having trouble making posts  :-\

fivetimesredmen

Sorry this log was also here (windows 8 is killing me) Hope this is everything, apologies for the delays.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
OK first we will remove McAfee and Norton.

I see that you are using Poki for the start button, have a look at classic shell as that is much better  http://www.classicshell.net/

Download these two removal programmes to the desktop :

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

From Control Panel > Programmes and Features uninstall :

Any Norton product
Any Symantec product
Any McAfee product

On completion run the two removal tools one after the other.  A reboot may be required in between

NEXT

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:Commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

:Files
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\fmlgoencnlndpglbocajlimaikjohmab

:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.
THEN

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator" the tool will open and start scanning your system
  • please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

fivetimesredmen

Heres the JRT.txt as requested

I've followed your instructions and the problem with the constant pop up has gone.

Can't thank you enough mate not just for getting the pop up to stop but for giving me the classicshell button. Not having a start button is what I hate most about windows 8 so again thanks a million

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Run OTL and press the cleanup button, delete JRT from the desktop

Keep safe :)