Author Topic: Does bitdefender install extra's  (Read 5920 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Does bitdefender install extra's
« on: June 22, 2005, 09:49:19 PM »
Hi my fellow forum members,

I ran the new Bitdefender on line scanner, and updated to BDSCANONLINE Control from http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8.cab
After scan I made a HJT and found up this:
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
HJT and an expert told me to fix  these two items. These are  no longer on my computer now (win98SE). I am left with bdoscandel.exe in C:\WINDOWS CRC-32 84C42FE1 total 106.496 bytes ; Made with Microsoft Visal C++ v. 7.0 and PE Pack V1.0. Date: March 4th 2005.  Furthermore  I have the bdoscandellang.ini file also in C:\WINDOWS.
Am I safe? Why did the online HJT scanner advise me to clean out the two [09] extra button and extra tools?  Is not this just deleting information after the install?
This on line scan version of Bitdefender is quite new. I always found it a trustworthy Romanian AV product. Is this something fishy, or is everything completely normal? I am waiting for the geeks to answer me,

Yours truly,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Does bitdefender install extra's
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 11:20:31 PM »
I think Bitdefender are pretty trustworthy.

I found an online scanner from F-Secure the other day. I definitely trust them, even if they do spend a lot of time spanking the monkey. :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3689999.stm

http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 11:23:25 PM by FreewheelinFrank »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 11:59:48 PM »
Hi FreewheelinFrank,

It is possibly these monkeys are meant.

Yours faithfully,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

MFB

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 02:24:15 AM »
Bit Defender I consider them pretty good I just don't do Online scanners anymore (the ones that requires Active X installed) because I really don't have alot time I perfer simple browse and scan just one file.  :)  No mistake, Bit Defender is the last online active X required scanner that I consider to be very useful.   :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 02:30:17 AM by FIXER »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 09:56:02 AM »
Greetings Polonus,

HijackThis! tells you to fix entries with missing files simply because they are redundant, not because of any security threat.

These 'missing files' are sometimes malware files which have been removed by an anti-virus or anti-spyware program. Sometimes they may just be orphaned references to programs you no longer have.

Are you saying that you found the files even though HJT! said they were missing?

That would be a mystery, although I think perhaps not fishy: Bitdefender is a well known company.

Best wishes,

FF
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 04:31:34 PM »
From now I'm using Trend Micro On Line Scanner as it's much quicker than Bit Defender.