Author Topic: Failing to find viruses  (Read 6444 times)

Jim359

Re: Failing to find viruses
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
Update tool is not cooperating.  I reset it 79 times.  Told it to ignore.  Told it to not ignore.  Reset it 86 more times.  Rebooted.  Reset it 14 times.  Told it to ignore.  Told it to not ignore.  Reset it eleventy-nine times.  ... and it still insists on "preparing".  It doesn't like me.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »
Have you manually updated Adobe ?  If so then go to control panel > programs and features
select Avast > select repair

Jim359

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 11:23:30 PM »
Sorry, yes, I had done a manual update from Adobes site. Then I refreshed, a lot.

I have now also repaired twice.  First time, no change in status.  So I scanned AVAST Free with MWB and itself, nothing malicious found with either.  Second time, I rebooted after the repair, and its still "preparing".

We are now both on the same page I do believe  :)

p.s. If I have not done so already.  Just want to express my appreciation and gratitude for your time and patience  Thank You.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 11:27:20 PM »
Sounds like it is stuck in a loop

One option would be to uninstall software updater from Avast and then re-install it
Use the Change option for this in control panel as opposed to repair

Jim359

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 12:16:18 AM »
I was unable to uninstall the updater, I think....

I used Change and when the window opened with all the choices I unchecked everything but the updater.  This window never mentioned uninstalling.  It never gives the option to uninstall.  So I chose just the Software Updater box and installed that. 

Still "preparing"

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 03:40:08 PM »
Ah not quite right .. You need to remove the tick to uninstall it

Jim359

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 06:15:10 PM »
... and here I thought by removing all other ticks, and leaving that one I'd be DL'ing a new version over the old broken one.....  Not wasting any cash on lotto tickets this month.

So, onward.

I did as instructed.  My system seemed to lock up or something when I chose the reboot option supplied by the change program work.  My comp just sat there with a black screen and what appeared to be a blinking white underscore line in the very upper lefthand corner of my screen.  After approximately 5 minutes of no other action, I used my tower reset button, comp started.  I go in and check, there is no Updater tool now.  So I go back in to change, re-tick the box and repeat.  This time there was no reboot option supplied, but I did so anyhow.   I used the "shut down" command actually, not the restart command.  Comp locks up exactly as before, little white flashing underscore on a dark screen.  Tower reset button again, starts fine, again.  Software Updater tool is now back where it belongs. 

Side note,  last night while I was left alone to my own devices.  I had the BRILLIANT idea that uninstalling Adobe Reader would fix it.  So I did it.  It didn't.  Fix it that is... 
So, after fixing the tool this morning I go to Adobe web site to reinstall,  Adobe reader DL page is out of service......

I have since decided that it is not JUST my computer that hates me,  The whole world is in on it.

Sincerely.....  ;D

p.s. At the moment things all seem fine.  As long as I don't need to open any PDF files.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
If it is just for reading then try Sumatra it is the one I use http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/download-free-pdf-viewer.html