Author Topic: Avast! Virus Cleaner  (Read 6142 times)

invisible

Avast! Virus Cleaner
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:31:08 AM »
A virus was found this AM and taken care of, so I decided this afternoon to download the 'Avast! Virus Cleaner' and do a 'just in case'  scan. Nothing was found and the cleaner was closed.  How do I find it again?

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
Re: Avast! Virus Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 04:51:32 AM »
go to the folder where you downloaded the avast virus cleaner and run it(click or double click the icon)just click the icon each time you want to run it,bri

invisible

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 06:13:08 AM »
It's nowhere to be found. Is it possible that it merged with the AVAST anti virus program?

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 06:57:35 AM »
download it from here and save it somewhere you will remember(desktop,my documents)click on it each time you need to run it.
http://avast.com/eng/avast_cleaner.html

MFB

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 07:06:16 AM »
It's nowhere to be found. Is it possible that it merged with the AVAST anti virus program?

Nope, avast virus cleaner cannot merge with avast!  It will be in the folder that you want it to downloaded to.  Did you check "My Download" and see if it's there? If you like you can download McAfee S-t-i-n-g-e-r which is a virus cleaner as well and free. 

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

invisible

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 03:37:20 PM »
Thank you, guys. I just downloaded it again and saved it to desktop. Is it possible (because the last time, I just RAN it) that it's like the 'Malicious software tool' and deletes itself after use, unless you SAVE it first?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 04:20:22 PM »
That's very likely: IE presents you with two options: run and save. If you select run, you won't find the file on your HD after it has run.

Firefox has the options open and save, with open blanked out for the virus cleaner, so I guess you are using IE or an IE based browser?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

invisible

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 04:38:33 PM »
Free,

I just downloaded "Stinger' and of course they tell you to SAVE.  It became clear as to what the problem was. It's kind of obvious that I'm not a computer geek, but more of a computer idiot.  :P
Yes, IE.