Author Topic: Avast Installed and Removed Again  (Read 2185 times)

hadituptohere

Avast Installed and Removed Again
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
I used avast for years and never had any problems with it. When I had my new pc 3 years ago I stopped using it. Tried using it again in Oct 2013 but there were so many problems it created on my system with hotmail and facebook not working or displaying incorrectly. Slow response times etc. In the end I uninstalled it.  Yesterday I thought I would try the new latest version. What a mistake. 5 hours later after trying everything I could for it to work (including visiting forum for help) I removed it.  Problems began to occur right away.

1. It turned on all items at start up even things that didn't need to start even duplicating some.
2. Could log into Hotmail but couldn't more from folder to folder or open emails.
3. IE9 - kept crashing
4. Following reboot opening Google chrome direct to avast.com and loss of all my chrome settings (no I made sure I unchecked the box).
5. Issues with facebook not displaying friends profile pics or name.
6. Slow response time in booting up, opening programs (some don't open at all) and slow response times regardless of which browser is used.

Installed AVG instead - normality restored!

guestja

Re: Avast Installed and Removed Again
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 03:03:01 PM »
What, may I ask was the anti virus you were using before you installed Avast? Did you use their removal tool to remove all the remnants?

If you did not, than that was probably the reason for all your problems. Either that or you were compromised before you installed Avast. I say this because your experience is obviously not normal. 

thekochs

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »
What, may I ask was the anti virus you were using before you installed Avast? Did you use their removal tool to remove all the remnants?

If you did not, than that was probably the reason for all your problems. Either that or you were compromised before you installed Avast. I say this because your experience is obviously not normal.

Totally agree.....not only MUST you make sure all previous AV is TOTALY cleared you really need to do a Avast clean install.
Uninstalling previous A/V: http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle
You can also use AppRemover too: http://www.appremover.com/  ...it supports AVG...assuming this was last A/V.
Clean Install How-To thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143284.0
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:08:40 PM by thekochs »

hadituptohere

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:22:25 PM »
I had previsously been using microsoft security essentials. It had been removed (cleanly) on both occassions before installing avast. I had also removed avast cleanly the first time I had issues with it back in October. I'm not sure what you mean by my system must have been compromised prior to installation as I have never had any issue with any of my programs since the PC was new. I have never had malware or a virus either as I am extremely careful what I download and "click on". Reading the forum however it appears I am not the only one who has experienced issues with this program. As I say on my previous PC I always ran avast but this new version seems to take over everything. But thank you for your comments.