Author Topic: multiple iexplorer processes  (Read 10934 times)

smartpaul

Re: multiple iexplorer processes
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 06:09:30 PM »
Log attached

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Have you downloaded/installed/updated any programmes over the last few days

smartpaul

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »
Avast on March 2nd. IE9 on March 5th - as I mentioned in my first post - because it wouldn't run.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
How is IE behaving now ?

smartpaul

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 01:43:32 PM »
IE has been behaving well since you had me do a reset several posts ago. Having said that, I rarely use it.

When you previously asked about recent downloads, I should have mentioned that over the weekend I started getting a mystery message on boot-up: 'The security information is invalid or has been modified This program will be terminated'. A Google search seemed to point towards the ULead Video Studio programme that I haven't used for months. I uninstalled it yesterday and haven't yet re installed. I don't get that message any longer.

This was around the time we were running the latest OTL scans. I hate to tempt fate, but since doing that uninstall as well as  the last Run Fix yesterday, I haven't seen any problems: no rogue processes, no Avast alerts, Windows is stable.

Can any of this be explained? Did the logs provide any clues?

If this is indeed now sorted, I'd like to thank you for all your help - it's much appreciated.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »
There was some adware on the system which we removed with OTL also the run key which may be related to Ulead video trying to call home

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Download and run Delfix

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe  :wave:

smartpaul

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »
Thanks for being house proud! I've done all that you asked. I've removed Java and I'll see how much it affects me, if at all. Another good article here that supports your suggestion: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2013/feb/08/java-remove-ask-jack-technology

CryptoPrevent up and running. I already had Malwarebytes.

I've looked at the 'How did I get infected ...' article before and I'm a little concerned that the post is more than 5 years old. For example, tt mentions Spyblaster which I have seen denigrated here and elsewhere.  Can we be sure these recommendations are still valid?

Is there real advantage in opting for the full version of Avast?

Finally, I've noticed of late that many (legitimate) websites contain adverts that do indeed reflect very closely products I have been looking at on other sites. Is that a direct consequence of adware and something that should never happen?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:17:16 PM by smartpaul »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
That thread is edited every few months or so but it does become old very quickly ..  I have yet to find another article that is more current. 

The full advantage of either Pro or AIS is in the online banking security area, but in the main for the run of the mill home user, free should suffice. 

The one thing always to bear in mind is that anti-malware/antivirus programmes are always playing catchup, the malware writers have the edge here

Unfortunately ads are a nice little earner for website owners, it is the malformed ads that are the problem and again it is always catchup time.   

Most sites use their cookies to follow where you are going so using the AOS addon (when it works :) ) is a good ploy

I have been Java free now for a few years and only a minority of sites need it activated, so I do not go there

smartpaul

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »
Just a final word (hopefully) to say thanks again for your assistance. No further problems have occurred and I hope to keep it that way.  :)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »
And I have found a better security read :)

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide  Best security practices Keep safe  :wave: