Author Topic: Avast says that "netupdsrv.exe" is a "RootKit" threat but I cant find that file?  (Read 4906 times)

REDACTED

I just installed Avast and I ran a boot-time scan aswell as a full scan, and they both show that "netupdsrv.exe" is a "Rootkit" threat. When I tried to locate this file I couldn't find it where avast! specified it to be, I googled around about the netupdsrv.exe and a lot of people said they encountered problems with it but this is the first time I have heard of it.

I also used McAfee rootkit remover to perform a quick scan for rootkits but it came back with nothing. This all started when my Skype wouldn't open which I found out was something to do with an Internet Explorer update. I then checked in the "Windows updater" and saw the Internet Explorer 11 update. When I went to disable IE 11 in my Windows Features it said it could not be removed sucessfully which then lead me to more googling and downloading avast. After that somebody said that the message I was seeing was something to do with a RootKit infection.
http://puu.sh/9KQRc/648da057c6.png - Avast displayed this when I tried to move the infection to the virus chest.

My basic question is, should I be concerned with this "netupdsrv.exe" file and if so what is the quickest and easiest, and preferably free way of doing it.
Any light shed would be greatly appreciated.

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
Hello,

This isn't RootKit, it's just some services. Let's check that shall we?

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool () by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

REDACTED

Hello have the same problem here. I habe included the txt files. Please help

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Hello have the same problem here. I habe included the txt files. Please help
for help start your own topic. Instructions are found here...read it all before you start  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
voor het helpen start je eigen onderwerp. Instructies zijn hier te vinden ... lees het allemaal voordat je begint

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:55:14 PM by Pondus »