Author Topic: False positive when compiling with Dev C++  (Read 3821 times)

REDACTED

False positive when compiling with Dev C++
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »
I am using Dev-C++ 5.6.3 and tried to compile a simple hello world program. Then I get a message about Win32:malware-gen. Also I find no way to ignore this file. Any way to fix this?

REDACTED

Re: False positive when compiling with Dev C++
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »
You can't "push through" and allow it when it's detected.  That's just the way Avast works.

However, once it gets added to the virus chest you can a) report it as a possible false positive, and b) if you're absolutely sure you don't have malware you can restore it and exclude it from detection.

The exclusions capabilities are in several different places in Avast, and if you need to generalize the exclusion a bit you can add File System Shield exlusions that are quite complex and use wildcards.  To get there, go through Settings > Active Protection > click on the gear in the File System Shield category > Exclusions.

At some future time you can check to see if the false positive has been acted upon by the Avast engineers by removing the exclusion and trying the operation again.  Or not - entirely up to you.   Nothing says you can't leave the exclusion in place, though it's better to be without exclusions.

-Noel

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: False positive when compiling with Dev C++
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
Report it to avast as a false positive using the contact form:
www.avast.com/contact-form.php

For now, add the file to the exclusion list.