Author Topic: Exclusions don't seem to work.  (Read 1895 times)

REDACTED

Exclusions don't seem to work.
« on: November 09, 2014, 02:06:08 PM »
I'm running Avast 2014.9.0.2021 on Windows 7 SP1.  I use ACDSee 7 daily, and have for a decade.  Yesterday it worked fine, but today Avast blocks it.  Putting it in exclusions doesn't work.  How do I exclude it from Avast's overprotective nanny?  Does Avast 2015 not have this problem?

Thank you for any advice.

REDACTED

Re: Exclusions don't seem to work.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
Though the product acts like there's one big exclusion list, in fact there are several.  Details matter.

How is the software being detected?  If it's the File Shield detecting it, look for the list of exclusions specific to the file shield.

Have you reported it as a false positive?  Right-click on it in the Chest to forward that process.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 09:50:56 PM »
Okay, I just submitted it as a false positive.  I'd never had one before.

I don't know how to find the different exclusion lists.  I'm given an opportunity to add it from the chest, as well as from the dialog box that pops up to tell me that a suspicious item has been detected.  While I assume that it's the file shield that's detecting it, it's not obvious to me.

Part of my problem is that I've used Avast since switching from Avira over a year ago, and it Just Works.  I've not had to fiddle with it, so haven't learned much about its details.

Guessing from what you told me, I just now tried using the exclusion option from the dialog box, as opposed to the chest, where I was doing it previously.  Amazingly (to me), that worked!  I have ACDSee back!

I still don't understand why it works from there, and only appears to work from the virus chest, but I'll take the victory and run.  Thank you for your helpful hints!

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 04:27:49 AM »
You're welcome.

It pays to poke around (carefully) and get familiar with all the Avast panels (and there are a lot of them).

Start by going into the Settings - Active Protection panel, then click the Customize links and look around in there.

-Noel