Author Topic: Avast and Adobe CC 2014 e.g. Photoshop etc.  (Read 2003 times)

REDACTED

Avast and Adobe CC 2014 e.g. Photoshop etc.
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »
For the last few weeks, Avast Firewall freezes Photoshop CC 2014 and Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014 (and probably others, I have not tested them all) for about 50-60 seconds each time they load.  If I disable the Avast firewall, they load fine.  But I cannot find any settings in Photoshop or on the web for ways to allow the Adobe CC 2014 programs through the firewall.  Can anyone help?  I have my network set as 'Private' and 'Friend' enabled and have the Windows firewall off.

REDACTED

Re: Avast and Adobe CC 2014 e.g. Photoshop etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:39 PM »
I tried excluding the entire Adobe directory, but that didn't help.  It is definitely a Firewall issue, I can leave the rest of the shields on and it works fine.

So what I eventually found were the firewall rules in Avast.  There are many auto-created rules that allow things through, but they weren't letting these apps make the contact they needed to run.  Avast has a setting that allows you to let it 'auto-decide' on the access for any apps where the rules don't allow some type of communication.  It works for the most part, but I changed all of the Adobe apps to 'ask me' (some 70 or so entries!).  Then when opening Photoshop, it asked for permission for several services including dynamiclinkmanager and qt32server.  And the same happened for Media Encoder and Premiere Pro, except they each asked for access for their own self-named host program as well.  Now they open without issue.  So I'll leave this here for others who may run into this.

As a side note, I saw the system trying to use port 2869 in the firewall logs and added an exception for it, but that didn't help.  But the above solved it, at least for now.